​​​​​​​Cabinet welcomes the evacuation of South Africans from Gaza

South Africa – Monday, December 11, 2023

Cabinet has welcomed the return of 19 South African nationals who had been stuck in Gaza .

“South Africa extends its gratitude to the Government of Egypt for granting our citizens safe passage through the Rafah Crossing into its country .

“South Africa calls for an immediate and permanent ceasefire and the resumption of talks that will end the violence arising from the continued belligerent occupation and lays the basis for a just and lasting solution,” Cabinet said in a statement on Monday .

The six males and 13 females, who were in Gaza since 7 October 2023, are now back on home soil .

Last week, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation said the 19 locals who were approved for evacuation into Egypt by the Israeli authorities on Sunday, 11 November 2023, were en route to South Africa .

In a statement last month, Cabinet said it remained concerned by the atrocities of the Israeli government against the people of Palestine, including the deliberate attacks on the United Nations School in Gaza, and the massacre of hundreds of children who had sought refuge at the school .

This is in addition to the continued attacks on hospital staff, patients and hospital infrastructure .

Share this post:

Advertisement
Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)