Altercation Erupts Outside Pub: Two Men Involved in Violent Fight after Drinking and Watching Rugby

Altercation Erupts Outside Pub: Two Men Involved in Violent Fight after Drinking and Watching Rugby

…By Alan Peterson for TDPel Media. On the evening of February 5, 2022, a heated argument erupted outside The Buck pub on Holton Road in Barry, resulting in a physical altercation between two men.


Ashley Jones, a 29-year-old resident of Merthyr Street in Barry, had been drinking and watching a rugby match at the pub.

Following a disagreement with another individual, Jones issued a threat to “knock him out,” which provoked the other man to throw a punch at him.

However, Jones managed to evade the punch and counterattacked by striking his assailant, causing him to fall to the ground.

The altercation continued as the two men grappled on the floor until they were eventually separated.

Throughout the scuffle, Jones continued to deliver additional blows and kicks to his opponent.

During the subsequent proceedings at Newport Crown Court, Christopher Evans, the prosecution barrister, revealed that a member of the pub’s door staff witnessed the initial exchange between the two men, which escalated into physical violence.


According to the witness, the men initially shook hands before the victim launched his punch.

Mr. Evans stated, “Jones retaliated by punching him to the floor,” and added, “They went down to the floor, and then Mr. Jones was seen throwing more punches.

They were separated and both tried to fight each other again. Mr. Jones also kicked his victim while he was on the floor.”

As a result of the altercation, the injured man was transported to the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff.

Medical examinations, including an x-ray and a CT scan, revealed several injuries, such as a broken nose and an injured left shoulder.

Additionally, he suffered cuts to his nose and eyelid, as well as swelling and bruising.

Although medical professionals recommended stitches, the injured man voluntarily left the hospital without receiving them.

During the court proceedings, it was acknowledged that Jones directed his kicks at the victim’s body rather than his head.


In a mitigating statement, defense barrister Luis Williamson argued that Jones was “alcohol dependent” and grappling with mental health issues at the time of the incident.

Williamson appealed for leniency, stating, “This is a man who can be given another chance.”

Having previously pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm, Jones appeared in court on Tuesday for sentencing.

Addressing the defendant, Recorder Bruce Gadriner noted that while Jones was not the instigator of the violence, his threat to “knock him out” provoked the victim to attack.

The judge also highlighted Jones’s continuation of the assault, even after the victim had fallen to the ground, emphasizing that it was committed under the significant influence of alcohol.

Consequently, Jones received a prison sentence of 36 weeks, which was suspended for a period of 12 months.


Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media

TDPel Media

This article was published on TDPel Media. Thanks for reading!

Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn

Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)