Teenage Killers Alfie Hammett and Joshua Howell Convicted of Murder in Brutal Ipswich Gang Attack

High Street Stabbing Tragedy Unveils Gang Rivalry

In a shocking case, 19-year-old Alfie Hammett and 18-year-old Joshua Howell, masked teenage killers, were convicted of the murder of 18-year-old Raymond James Quigley, also known as James.

The brutal attack took place on Ipswich’s Westgate Street on January 17 last year, highlighting a disturbing manifestation of gang rivalry.

Horrific Ambush on Rival Gang Member

James, a resident of Wymondham, Norfolk, fell victim to a horrific high street attack orchestrated by Hammett and Howell, who were armed with large knives, wearing face masks, and had their hoods up.

The ambush occurred at 3:35 pm as James walked with friends, resulting in a brutal stabbing that claimed his life.

Passers-by, including customers and staff from a nearby Starbucks, rushed to help, but James collapsed and died before police and paramedics arrived.

Planned Ambush and Gang Rivalry

The trial at Ipswich Crown Court revealed that Hammett and Howell had meticulously planned the attack, meeting at Suffolk New College before targeting James and his friends.

Prosecutors indicated that the motive behind the murder was a deep-rooted gang rivalry between two groups from Norwich, Norfolk.

James was associated with the ‘OTM’ gang (‘Only The Money’), while Hammett, formerly from Norwich, belonged to the rival gang ‘3rdside.’

Howell had links to the Nacton gang in Ipswich, also known as ‘IP3,’ which had established cooperation with ‘3rdside.’

Denials, Contradictions, and Convictions

Both Hammett and Howell denied the murder charges during the trial. Hammett, referred to as ‘Male One,’ did not provide evidence, while Howell claimed that he only met ‘Male One’ on the day of the killing.

Howell, armed with a machete during the attack, asserted that the incident occurred spontaneously without his prior knowledge.

The jury rejected their claims and unanimously found them guilty after a trial lasting over five weeks.

Father’s Suspicion and Covert Tracking

A significant revelation during the trial involved Shaun Hammett, Alfie’s father, suspecting his son’s involvement in the murder. Shaun secretly placed a tracker on Alfie’s moped, discovering its location at Bishops Hill on the day of the killing. Police utilized this information, obtained from the covert device, to trace the route taken through CCTV. Shaun confronted his son, who claimed innocence but looked shocked when the tracker was revealed.

Sentencing and Mandatory Detention

Hammett and Howell were convicted not only of murder but also of carrying an offensive weapon. Additionally, Howell faced a conviction for threatening another person with a bladed article.

The sentencing is scheduled for March 11, allowing reports to be drawn up on the convicts.

Judge Martyn Levett emphasized that the mandatory detention for life would be the prescribed sentence.

CCTV Footage and Diligent Police Work

The court heard that CCTV footage captured the attack and the suspects’ movements before and after the incident.

Detectives worked tirelessly over four days to identify and locate Hammett and Howell, ultimately arresting them on January 21, just two days after the murder.

The prosecution revealed that Howell had transferred money and bought a one-way plane ticket to Nairobi, emphasizing his attempt to flee.

Eyewitness Account of Horrific Scene

Eyewitness Lasharne Beaton testified about the immediate aftermath of the attack, describing James as having his top ‘completely saturated in blood.’

She rushed to assist as James sought refuge in a nearby shop, ultimately attempting CPR to save him. The harrowing incident sheds light on the disturbing consequences of gang rivalry and the tragic loss of a young life.

Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)