Prosecutors have disclosed previously undisclosed evidence involving Karmelo Anthony as the former Texas high school student seeks a new trial over the fatal stabbing of Austin Metcalf at a track meet in Frisco in 2025.
The revelations were presented during a hearing on Anthony’s motion for a new trial on August 20.
Collin County Assistant District Attorney Bill Wirskye referred to information recovered from Anthony’s phone and other aspects of his background that were not presented to jurors during the original proceedings.
Alleged Messages About Violence and Knives
According to prosecutors, one message recovered from Anthony’s phone contained an alleged fantasy about stabbing someone and licking blood from the blade.
Wirskye presented the message as part of a broader collection of material that prosecutors say demonstrated an interest in violence, fights, firearms and knives.
The evidence is now being considered in the context of Anthony’s request for a new trial, although the material was not introduced before the jury that ultimately convicted him.
Ex-Girlfriend Reportedly Raised Concerns
Prosecutors also described an incident involving Anthony’s former girlfriend on the morning of the fatal confrontation.
According to the state, the girl approached an assistant principal at Frisco Centennial High School and said Anthony had been stalking her after their relationship ended.
Prosecutors said she reported that he “wouldn’t take no for an answer.”
Wirskye also pointed to a message Anthony allegedly sent to the same former girlfriend that morning.
The message included a photograph of a knife and the words “I’m lowkey on the verge.”
The prosecutor characterized Anthony as appearing to be in an increasingly distressed or agitated state at the time.
Prosecutors Point to Earlier Behavioural Concerns
The state also raised information concerning Anthony’s childhood and time living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Prosecutors said his parents had enrolled him in a special programme connected to Louisiana State University that was intended for children who experienced difficulties controlling aggression and physical behaviour.
These details, like the phone messages and account involving the former girlfriend, were not presented to the jury during Anthony’s original trial.
Why Was the Evidence Not Heard at Trial?
The prosecution and defence had previously reached what was described as a “gentleman’s agreement” concerning historical character evidence relating to both Anthony and Metcalf.
The arrangement was intended to keep the trial focused primarily on the events surrounding the stabbing rather than extensive evidence about the teenagers’ earlier lives.
Wirskye said the agreement originated with prosecutors and was proposed because of the large amount of potentially relevant background material.
Anthony’s defence has argued, however, that the prosecution later departed from aspects of the understanding, affecting the way the defence approached the case.
The defence has also linked the dispute to Anthony’s decision not to testify.
Anthony Was Convicted Earlier This Year
Anthony was convicted of murder on June 9, 2026, and sentenced to 35 years in prison on the same day.
The case arose from a confrontation at a Frisco Independent School District track meet on April 2, 2025, at David Kuykendall Stadium.
Anthony, who was 17 at the time and attended Centennial High School, and Metcalf, also 17 and a student at Memorial High School, were both attending the event.
What Happened at the Track Meet?
Evidence presented during the original trial indicated that the teenagers became involved in a confrontation beneath a team tent during rainy conditions.
Anthony stabbed Metcalf once in the chest during the encounter, according to the case presented to jurors.
The defence argued that Anthony acted in self-defence.
The jury rejected that claim and also declined to find that the killing occurred under sudden passion, a determination that could have resulted in a lower sentencing range.
Anthony was consequently convicted and received a 35-year prison sentence.
Judge Removed From Case After Post-Trial Comments
Following the conviction, Anthony’s legal team filed a notice of appeal, a motion seeking a new trial and a request for the trial judge to be removed from the case.
Administrative Judge Sid Harle granted the recusal request on August 19 after considering public comments made by State District Judge John Roach Jr. following the trial.
Among the comments cited was Roach’s statement that the jury “got it right.”
Retired Kaufman County District Judge Michael Chitty was subsequently assigned to oversee Anthony’s motion for a new trial.
Court Faces Deadline on New Trial Request
The timing of the latest hearing is significant because Texas law sets a deadline for ruling on a motion for a new trial.
Under the applicable rules, a decision is required within 75 days of sentencing, placing the expected deadline at approximately August 24.
If the request is rejected, Anthony’s case will move forward to the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas.
Defence Seeks Another Chance in Court
Anthony’s legal team is seeking a new trial while also pursuing an appeal of his conviction.
The latest hearing has therefore placed renewed attention on evidence that was not heard by the original jury and on the agreement between prosecutors and defence lawyers concerning character evidence.
The court must now determine whether the issues raised by the defence provide sufficient grounds to reopen the case.
What Happens Next?
Retired Judge Michael Chitty is expected to rule on Anthony’s motion for a new trial within the required timeframe.
If the motion is denied, Anthony’s appeal will proceed before the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas, where his lawyers can continue challenging aspects of the conviction and trial.
The newly disclosed evidence does not itself overturn the conviction.
Its significance will depend on the court’s assessment of the arguments surrounding the original trial and the handling of the evidence.
Summary
Karmelo Anthony, who was convicted of murder and sentenced to 35 years in prison for the 2025 fatal stabbing of Austin Metcalf, is seeking a new trial.
During an August 20 hearing, prosecutors disclosed previously unseen material that they say included messages about violence and knives, a message to Anthony’s former girlfriend involving a knife and earlier concerns about his behaviour.
The defence maintains that an agreement restricting historical character evidence affected the trial and Anthony’s decision not to testify.
A new judge is now considering the request after the original trial judge was recused following post-trial comments.
The court is expected to rule on the new-trial motion by approximately August 24.
[If it is rejected, Anthony’s case will proceed to the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas.