The United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada and Norway have jointly condemned the Israeli government’s decision to publish construction tenders for the E1 settlement project, calling the move unacceptable and warning that it could further damage prospects for a negotiated Israeli-Palestinian peace.
The coordinated statement, published on August 20, represents a strong diplomatic response to plans for settlement construction in the strategically sensitive E1 area of the West Bank.
The seven governments said the international community has repeatedly expressed opposition to settlement expansion and has previously raised concerns with Israel both privately and publicly.
Allies Warn of Damage to a Two-State Solution
At the heart of the governments’ objection is the potential impact of the E1 development on the territorial geography of the West Bank.
The countries argue that construction in the area could create a physical barrier through the West Bank, undermining territorial continuity for the Palestinians and making the establishment of a viable Palestinian state more difficult.
They warned that the project could therefore push the region further away from the two-state solution, which the seven governments reaffirmed as the basis for their preferred path toward a lasting settlement.
Statement Cites International Law
The joint declaration also takes a firm position on the legal status of Israeli settlements in the West Bank.
The governments stated that international law considers Israeli settlements in the territory illegal and pointed to the United Nations Security Council as having reaffirmed the international community’s position.
The statement places the E1 project within a wider dispute over Israeli settlement policy and its implications for the future political status of the West Bank.
Timing Raises Additional Alarm
The seven governments said the decision was particularly troubling because of the current conditions in the West Bank.
They pointed to what they described as unprecedented levels of settler violence against civilians, alongside serious restrictions affecting the Palestinian economy.
Against that backdrop, the governments argued that expanding settlements would further increase instability and make an already difficult political environment even more challenging.
Their intervention suggests that the E1 announcement is being viewed not as an isolated construction decision, but as part of a broader deterioration in conditions surrounding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Israel Urged to Abandon the Plans
The governments called on Israel to immediately withdraw the E1 plans and halt further settlement expansion across the West Bank.
They argued that continued construction would not only make a negotiated peace more difficult but could also damage Israel’s standing internationally.
The statement represents a direct appeal to the Israeli government to reconsider its decision before the proposed development advances further.
Businesses Warned Against Bidding
The joint statement goes beyond criticism of the Israeli government by issuing a warning to companies that could potentially participate in the construction project.
Businesses were urged not to bid for the construction tenders.
The governments said companies should consider the potential legal and reputational consequences of participating, including the possibility of becoming involved in what the statement described as serious breaches of international law.
The warning could increase pressure on companies considering whether to participate in future projects connected to settlements.
Seven Countries Reaffirm Commitment to Two States
Despite their criticism, the governments said their broader objective remains a comprehensive and lasting peace between Israelis and Palestinians.
They reiterated their support for a two-state solution and said they would continue working in its interest.
The declaration therefore combines condemnation of the settlement project with a renewed diplomatic commitment to a political resolution of the conflict.
E1 Remains a Major Flashpoint
The dispute over E1 carries significance beyond the construction of individual homes or infrastructure.
Because of its location and relationship to surrounding parts of the West Bank, development in the area has long been regarded by opponents as potentially consequential for the territorial viability of a future Palestinian state.
The latest joint statement signals that Britain, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada and Norway intend to maintain pressure over the issue.
For Israel, the decision now faces coordinated international opposition, while companies considering the tenders have been given an explicit warning about the potential consequences of becoming involved.
The next stage will depend on whether the Israeli government proceeds with the tenders or responds to the growing diplomatic pressure to withdraw them.