Kevin Spacey has been found not responsible for battery in his case against Anthony Rapp.
The 63-year-old actor had been accused of attacking Anthony Rapp at a party in 1986 when Rapp was just 14 years old and while District Judge Lewis Kaplan dismissed a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress earlier this week, the second charge of violence remained in issue.
However, on Thursday, jurors ruled that lawyers had failed to prove that Kevin “touched a sexual or personal part” of Rapp, thereby dismissing the case.
Following the ruling, Rapp, who had been seeking $40 million in damages from the “House of Cards” star,said in a statement: “Bringing this lawsuit was always about lighting a light, as part of the wider movement to stand up against all forms of sexual violence.
“I commit to keep on advocating for measures to guarantee that we may live and work in a world that is free from sexual assault of any type. I genuinely hope that survivors continue to voice their tales and fight for accountability.”
Testifying against the charges on Monday, Spacey said: “They are not true. Everything about what was happening in that house was something I had to keep to myself. We never, ever, talked about it. I have never talked about these topics publicly ever.”
Meanwhile, Rapp’s attorney Richard Steigman noted that while he “respects” the ruling, “nothing will change” the fact that Rapp told “his truth” in court.
He said: “Anthony stated his truth in court. We accept the jury’s verdict.”
Spacey is claimed to be “truly thankful” to the jury and is “grateful” to be in a country where he has the right to a trial.
His attorney Jennifer L. Keller said: “Mr. Spacey is grateful to live in a democracy where the citizens have a right to trial by impartial jurors who make their choice based on evidence and not rumour or social media.
He is grateful to this jury!”
Rapp launched a civil claim against Spacey after a 2020 criminal case of sexual assault was rejected by a court and has been demanding compensation for mental and emotional anguish, medical expenses and loss of job.
The 50-year-old “Star Trek: Discovery” star was asked if he lied about his charges during his testimony.
Answered: “No. It was something that happened to me that was not okay.”
Spacey apologized to Rapp for “very unacceptable intoxicated behavior” but claimed he did not remember the episode.
He pleaded not guilty to sexually abusing three individuals between March 2005 and April 2013 in the UK, and in 2019, Massachusetts dismissed charges of indecent assault and sexual assault.