Cristiano Ronaldo will contest the Football Association’s accusation of inappropriate conduct after the Manchester United star got into a fight with an Everton supporter last season, according to Erik ten Hag on Wednesday.
After United lost 1-0 at Goodison Park on April 9, video seemed to show Ronaldo shoving a young boy’s cellphone to the ground.
Merseyside Police issued a warning to the 37-year-old, and the FA charged Ronaldo for the incident last month.
Ronaldo will fight the FA accusation, according to United boss Ten Hag who talked with the Portugal forward.
Ten Hag told the press, “We discussed it, and he won’t accept it.
Ronaldo ran into the Everton supporter as he was heading into the tunnel, and the former Real Madrid and Juventus player afterwards apologized for his behavior.
Ronaldo said on Instagram, “It’s never easy to cope with emotions in trying times like the one we are experiencing.
“To be an example for all the young people who enjoy the beautiful game, we must always be courteous and patient.
As a gesture of fair play and sportsmanship, I would want to apologize for my outburst and, if it is feasible, invite this fan to witness a game at Old Trafford.
Ironically, Ronaldo had a better experience against Everton on Sunday since he scored his 700th goal for the club during United’s 2-1 victory.
Ten Hag remarked, “I want to help him as much as I can.”
“For particular positions on the field, there are certain requirements we place on players. But every other player does the same thing.
“I want to bring out the best in him. He is obviously improving his physical condition now, which makes me delighted. He can now contribute more to the team, and I have no doubt he will.”
Ten Hag, however, acknowledges that he feels bad for Anthony Martial after the United attacker missed the remainder of the season due to his third separate injury.
The addition of Ten Hag gave Martial’s sputtering United career new energy, and on the preseason tour of Thailand and Australia, the France international started up front in all four games.
Martial was forced to miss the first few weeks of the season due to a hamstring injury he received in the last friendly, before suffering an Achilles problem and leaving Everton due to a back ailment.
“He is not working out today. By Sunday, we’ll see how he progresses “Before the Europa League encounter against Omonia Nicosia on Thursday, Ten Hag remarked.
“I’ve spoken to him numerous times about it (run of injuries). I feel really sorry for him.
“I believe he performed extremely well, including on Sunday, based on the caliber of all the minutes he played.
However, he “dropped out,” which is disappointing for both him and the squad.