A 23-year-old computer programmer succumbed to a peanut allergy after consuming a slice of takeaway pizza obtained through Deliveroo, according to information presented during an inquest

A 23-year-old computer programmer succumbed to a peanut allergy after consuming a slice of takeaway pizza obtained through Deliveroo, according to information presented during an inquest

Tragic Death Due to Allergic Reaction

James Atkinson, a computer programmer with a known nut allergy, met a tragic end after consuming a Deliveroo takeaway containing peanuts.

The inquest into his death, which began at Newcastle Coroner’s Court, revealed the unfortunate details of the incident.

Fatal Allergic Reaction Unfolds

On July 10, 2020, James Atkinson ordered a meal from the Dadyal restaurant in Newcastle, including a chicken tikka masala pizza, chips, and Indian sides.

Despite his vigilance in researching potential allergens, he had a severe allergic reaction after consuming only a small portion of the pizza.

Recognizing the emergency, he promptly called for an ambulance.

Efforts to Save a Life

James, 23, was rushed to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, but despite the medics’ efforts, he succumbed to the allergic reaction at 9.21 pm.

His family initiated an inquest, seeking answers regarding the circumstances leading to his tragic demise.

History of Allergies

Mr. Atkinson had a history of peanut allergies and had been admitted to the hospital a decade earlier.

Though he had managed his allergies well over the years, the fatal incident occurred after ordering through the Deliveroo app.

His flatmate recounted Mr. Atkinson expressing uncertainty about the pizza and mentioning concerns about nuts.

Paramedics Confront Distressing Situation

When paramedics arrived, Mr. Atkinson, struggling to breathe, expressed fear, asking if he was going to die.

Home Office pathologist Dr. Jennifer Bolton described his condition as ‘gasping for air’ and ‘profoundly unconscious.’

Toxicology tests revealed no impairing substances in his system.

Confirmation of Cause of Death

Dr. Bolton, after examining the stomach contents and the uneaten takeaway, attributed the cause of death to anaphylaxis following peanut ingestion.

The examination detected peanuts both in the food and at the restaurant.

The Role of an EpiPen

Coroner Karen Dilks inquired about the possibility of a different outcome with an EpiPen.

Dr. Bolton acknowledged that while an EpiPen might increase chances of survival, it provides no guarantee.

A Grieving Family’s Tribute

At the onset of the hearing, James Atkinson’s parents, Jill and Stuart, shared a heartfelt tribute to their son.

Describing James as a loving, kind, and caring individual, they expressed the immeasurable loss and the void left in their hearts.

The inquest, scheduled for two weeks, continues as the family seeks closure and understanding.