Driver Shot Dead After Ramming Car into Chinese Consulate in San Francisco

Security Incident at Chinese Consulate in San Francisco

A shocking incident unfolded at the Chinese consulate in San Francisco as a suspected armed attacker plowed his car into the consulate’s lobby and was subsequently shot dead by police.

The attacker, who was bleeding, emerged from a blue Honda sedan and demanded to know the whereabouts of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).

This harrowing event took place shortly after 3 pm Pacific time, leading to panic among staff and visitors within the consulate premises.

Response by Security Personnel

Security personnel at the Chinese consulate were quick to respond to the alarming situation.

They apprehended the attacker, who had armed himself with a knife, and effectively restrained him. Eyewitnesses, including Stanford student Sergii Molchanov, recounted their experiences of the incident.

Molchanov, who happened to be at the consulate to apply for a visa, described his proximity to the assailant during the apprehension. He expressed his fear and uncertainty, not knowing whether the attacker possessed a firearm.

Molchanov further detailed the moment when police arrived and fired two gunshots, resulting in the attacker’s demise. Witnessing the incident in person left Molchanov deeply shocked and distressed.

Security Measures Amidst Fear of Potential Bombs

In response to the incident, law enforcement agencies took additional security measures. Police bomb squad technicians and explosive-sniffing dogs were deployed to the scene amid concerns about the possibility of explosive devices.

The proximity of a neighbor who reported hearing four or five gunshots added to the urgency of the situation.

Subsequently, the Chinese consulate building was evacuated, and a white tarp was placed over the entrance used for visa applications.

Authorities also issued a public advisory to avoid the area around Laguna St and Geary Blvd due to ongoing police activity.

Background and Previous Incidents

The Chinese consulate in San Francisco has been a frequent target of protests by human rights activists and supporters of the Falun Gong movement.

It has faced previous incidents of arson attacks, with the most recent occurring in 2014 when an individual approached the compound in a van and poured gasoline on the building’s front, resulting in damage.

Additionally, in March 2008, the consulate was subjected to a blaze when a group of individuals poured flammable liquid on a security gate and set it on fire.

Furthermore, in November of the previous year, the building was defaced with graffiti during a vigil held outside to honor victims of a fire in China’s Xinjiang province.

Frequent Protests and Security Measures

Residents residing in a condominium opposite the Chinese consulate have attested to the frequency of protests in the vicinity.

These protests have become so common that some residents have taken out home insurance policies covering terrorist attacks.

The heightened security concerns and the incident have led to a climate of tension and caution in the area.

Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn

Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)