Forecasters anticipate that Tropical Storm Fiona will approach Puerto Rico on Saturday and pass near the U.S. territory this weekend, with the possibility for dangerously heavy rainfall in isolated locations.
The storm entered the eastern Caribbean between Guadeloupe and Montserrat, dumping heavy rainfall on the northern Leeward Islands.
Forecasters issued a storm warning for Puerto Rico, as residents prepared for possible landslides, severe floods, and power disruptions.
According to the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami, Fiona was predicted to cross over or pass near the Dominican Republic on Monday near hurricane status with the same concern of heavy rainfall that may produce flash floods and mudslides.
Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Lester in the eastern Pacific was predicted to make landfall Saturday evening near Acapulco on Mexico’s southern coast.
Fiona was expected to produce 5 to 10 inches of rain to eastern and southern Puerto Rico, with isolated locations receiving as much as 16 inches. The Dominican Republic was predicted to get 4 to 8 inches of precipitation, with up to a foot in certain areas. As a result of Fiona’s gusts, life-threatening surf was also predicted, according to forecasts.
The centre said that Fiona, the sixth named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season, had maximum sustained winds of around 60 mph early Saturday morning. It was situated around 125 miles west of Guadeloupe and was travelling west at 13 mph.
Lester was predicted to stay a tropical storm in the Pacific until it reached the coast of Mexico, but forecasters warned of possible threats from heavy rainfall.
Early Saturday morning, the storm reached maximum sustained winds of 45 mph. It was situated around 135 miles south of Acapulco and travelling 10 mph to the northwest.
From Puerto Escondido to Zihuatanejo, a tropical storm watch was issued. The hurricane centre predicted that Lester might produce 3 to 6 inches of precipitation in western Oaxaca, Guerrero, Michoacan, Colima, and Jalisco states, with isolated regions receiving 1 foot.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- Celeb-loved We adore the new dry shampoo from Olaplex
- Terry Bradshaw makes jokes on-air about dying. “Consider the ratings”
- Stream or Skip: ‘Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody’ on VOD, a Flatline Biopic of a GOAT Who Deserves Better
- Ex-Pirates star says Bucs made him a $1 millionaire
- Salma Hayek says she was “dragged” to her wedding to François-Henri Pinault
- Influential model discovered dead in her car with 11 stab wounds
- Katie Rost, an alumna of ‘RHOP,’ confesses she relapsed: “I failed,” but I am “restarting.”
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are set to testify in Samantha’s defamation action
- Investigators say Putin supplied Buk missile that downed MH17 over Ukraine
- Andries was a bold and talented athlete – Steve Barker