Firefighters Rescue Man from Third-Floor Blaze in Whitechapel, London, Caused by Charging E-Bike Battery

In Whitechapel, East London, a man was rescued from a third-floor flat after a blaze broke out, endangering residents’ lives.

The fire, occurring in the early hours of February 7, caused severe damage to the flat’s interior.

While two individuals escaped, two men were trapped inside as their exit was blocked by the fire.

Firefighters heroically rescued them using ladders, with one man seen dangling from a window ledge, supported by a neighbor below.

Cause of the Fire

The fire was traced to a lithium battery pack for a converted e-bike, which was charging in the flat’s hallway.

Borough Commander for Tower Hamlets, Richard Tapp, highlighted the dangers associated with e-bikes and e-scooters, urging proper precautions such as storing them outside or in a secure area. He emphasized the risks of charging these vehicles while people are asleep, stressing the importance of reacting swiftly in such situations.

Rise in E-bike Fires

London has witnessed a surge in e-bike fires, averaging one every two days in 2023, with a significant increase from the previous year.

Fires often result from lithium batteries failing and exploding due to various factors, including poor construction, counterfeit products, damage, or the use of incorrect chargers.

The London Fire Brigade advises people to stop using faulty batteries immediately and contact the seller.

Firefighting Efforts

In response to the Whitechapel fire, six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were deployed, bringing the blaze under control within one hour and ten minutes.

The incident serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers associated with lithium batteries and the importance of fire safety measures.

Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn

Advertisement
Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)