Dog Owner’s Near-Death Scare at Eryri Lake Raises Alarm about Blue-Green Algae Contamination

…By Alan Peterson for TDPel Media. A dog owner in Eryri has issued a warning after her English Springer Spaniel, Raven, experienced a near-death incident following a visit to the popular lake, Llyn Tegid in Bala.


Zoe Trommelen noticed Raven behaving strangely and losing consciousness during their drive home.

Emergency Response and Alarming Discovery

In a race against time, Zoe intervened on the roadside, rushing Raven to a vet across three counties.

By inducing vomiting, she managed to extract a green and white substance with an earthy smell from Raven’s throat.


The vet suggested that the symptoms resembled those of blue-green algae poisoning, leading to concerns about the water quality at Llyn Tegid.

Response from Eryri National Park Authority

The Eryri National Park Authority (NPA), responsible for managing the lake, stated that no blue-green algae has been detected in the lake so far this summer.

They consider the incident to be a possible isolated case but plan to erect additional signs and implement an action plan to address the situation.

Recounting the Incident and Urgent Treatment

According to Zoe, she had taken Raven for a walk by the lake with her daughter and friends.

After playing and swimming in the water for about an hour, Raven’s condition suddenly deteriorated on their way home.


Zoe described Raven as wobbly, with white gums and an inability to keep her head up.

Realizing the severity, Zoe urgently sought veterinary assistance.

Desperate Drive and Life-Saving Actions

With no mobile reception in the area, Zoe drove to various locations until she found a signal to contact a vet practice in Llangollen.

During the drive, Raven’s condition worsened, and she lost consciousness.

Determined to save her, Zoe resorted to pumping Raven’s stomach and tickling her throat to induce vomiting.


The substance expelled had a disturbing earthy smell and a green and white appearance.

Blue-Green Algae and Safety Measures

Blue-green algae blooms have been a recurring occurrence at Llyn Tegid for many years.

This microscopic bacteria found in freshwater ecosystems can produce toxins harmful to humans and potentially fatal to animals, including dogs.

The Eryri NPA reassured the public that their wardens closely monitor the lake for signs of blue-green algal bloom.

Public notice signs are in place, and an action plan is activated when necessary, involving collaboration with relevant partners.



The alarming incident involving Raven at Llyn Tegid has raised concerns about the presence of blue-green algae in the lake.

While the Eryri NPA maintains that no sightings have been reported this year, the dog owner’s experience highlights the need for caution and awareness regarding the potential dangers of blue-green algae.


Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media

Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn

Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)