After Conor Benn failed a drug test, the British professional boxing regulating board on Wednesday forbade a catchweight match between Benn and Chris Eubank Jr.
The major fight on Saturday at London’s 02 Arena was “not in the interests of boxing,” according to a statement from the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC), and all parties had been notified.
Matchroom and Wasserman Boxing, the fight’s promoters, had confirmed that it would still go place.
Benn, whose father Nigel memorably duelled Eubank’s father and namesake thirty years ago, was reported in their joint statement to have “returned an unfavourable analytical test for trace levels of a reproductive medicine.”
The Voluntary Anti-Doping Association conducted the test.
It said that since Benn’s B sample had not yet undergone testing, there could be no definitive rule breach. Additionally, Benn had just passed a test administered by the UK Anti-Doping Agency.
Before the BBBofC made its decision public, the promoters released a statement that said, in part, “Both combatants have obtained medical and legal counsel, are aware of all pertinent facts, and desire to continue with the event this Saturday.”
The matchup between welterweight Benn and super-middleweight Eubank was scheduled to take place at a catchweight of 157 pounds (71kg).
Due to worries about dipping below the weight restriction, Eubank Sr. appealed for the fight to be postponed last month.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- We intend to improve upon our competitive performance in order to keep the trophy. Connor Mailula
- Coach Rulani Mokwena: We must do our best to protect the trophy and go better than previous year
- They did great in giving everyone minutes, which is the best way to keep everyone satisfied. Rulani Mokwena
- Reserves of Pirates Pass Maritzburg
- Sundowns Ladies are prepared for their Super League debut against Richmond United
- Preview of the DStv Premiership: Mamelodi Sundowns
- Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies celebrates National Girls and Women in Sports Day
- Which are the best tennis bookmakers for India?
- Pirates sign a new player
- Wrexham and Sheffield United have a 3-3 draw. Next Rematch Set for February