Cape Town City defeats Chippa United after late goals

Cape Town City defeats Chippa United after late goals

DStv Premiership opponent Cape Town City defeated Chippa United 2-1 on Tuesday night at the Cape Town Stadium, snapping their record-breaking four-match winning run.

For the most of the game, Chippa seemed poised to make it five straight victories, but City’s pressure in the closing minutes of the game—when City seized the lead for the first time all game—finally took its toll.

Despite having a 60% possession advantage, City was unable to capitalize on their dominance in the first half. To make matters worse, City had 13 shots on goal compared to Chippa’s one, which resulted in the lone goal in the first half.

Just over the halfway point, Chippa launched a rare counterattack down the right wing, putting City on the defensive for a moment as they attempted to neutralize the danger. Siphelele Luthuli, a midfielder, made a skillful pass that eluded City’s defense. An unmarked player caught the ball and slipped it past goalie Darren Keet.

City forced four corners in the first period, and one of them almost resulted in a goal except for the crossbar. Darwin González did a good job of connecting with Lyle Lakay’s corner, but his header hit the crossbar.

A few minutes after Chippa’s goal, City midfielder Mduduzi Mdantsane also came near with a powerful long-range drive that hit the upright and rebounded into play.

As the second half went on, City raised the stakes and increased its level of play dominance. They didn’t start to see the benefits of their labor until the 72nd minute, however. Thabo Nodada, a midfielder, found Khanyisa Mayo with a through pass, and she scored the equalizer (1-1).

Later, Mayo came near to scoring again, but six minutes from time, Thamsanqa Mkhize scored the game-winning goal from a set-piece, which caused a breach in Chippa’s defense.

»Cape Town City defeats Chippa United after late goals«

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯