Thursday, Granit Xhaka’s second-half goal gave Arsenal a 1-0 victory over PSV Eindhoven at the Emirates and a spot in the Europa League quarterfinals.
In a rescheduled match that was postponed last month due to the death of Queen Elizabeth II, Mikel Arteta’s team surpassed PSV by five points in Group A.
In a week, when the teams meet again, a draw would be enough for Arsenal to clinch first place and advance directly to the round of 16.
Arsenal have won 13 of their 14 matches in all competitions this season after winning their fourth consecutive European fixture.
Takehiro Tomiyasu chipped the ball back for Granit Xhaka to score his third goal of the season with 19 minutes remaining. The Premier League leaders dominated for lengthy stretches but were not able to take the lead until Xhaka scored his third goal of the season.
Late in the game, Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli came near to increasing the lead, but Ruud van Nistelrooy’s PSV rarely threatened to score an equalizer.
Arsenal, who are four points ahead of defending Premier League champions Manchester City, will visit Southampton on Sunday.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- We intend to improve upon our competitive performance in order to keep the trophy. Connor Mailula
- Coach Rulani Mokwena: We must do our best to protect the trophy and go better than previous year
- They did great in giving everyone minutes, which is the best way to keep everyone satisfied. Rulani Mokwena
- Reserves of Pirates Pass Maritzburg
- Sundowns Ladies are prepared for their Super League debut against Richmond United
- Preview of the DStv Premiership: Mamelodi Sundowns
- Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies celebrates National Girls and Women in Sports Day
- Which are the best tennis bookmakers for India?
- Pirates sign a new player
- Wrexham and Sheffield United have a 3-3 draw. Next Rematch Set for February