When he oversees the November match between the Springboks and France in Marseille, referee Wayne Barnes of England will break the previous Test record.
The 43-year-old match official, who is also a licensed attorney or barrister, will surpass Welshman Nigel Owens, who officiated exactly 100 Test matches over the course of a glittering 17-year career before retiring from the highest level in December 2020. Owens’ final match was the France-Italy match in Paris.
Barnes will now mention his hundred, which he will reach on November 5 in Cardiff against the All Blacks.
When he blows the whistle for the Boks against France at the Stade Velodrome a week later, he will create a new milestone.
In a statement released on Wednesday, World Rugby president Bill Beaumont congratulated Wayne on his selection and upcoming milestone.
“Being a referee for so long and being so skilled at it is no simple task. In addition to being a terrific referee, Wayne Barnes, like Nigel Owens before him, achieves 100 Tests by being a wonderful team player, a student of the game, and someone who is well regarded by players, coaches, and fans alike.
The first Bok Test of the end-of-year tour will be officiated by Georgian Nika Amashukeli in Dublin against Ireland. The world champions are already aware with him from when he officiated the Wales match at Loftus Versfeld in July.
Mike Adamson from Scotland will officiate the Bok match against Italy in Genoa, while Australian Angus Gardner will oversee the SA-England match at Twickenham.
Jaco Peyper, a referee from South Africa, has been selected to officiate two Test matches in November: France vs. Australia in Paris on November 5 and Ireland vs. Fiji in Dublin the following week.
Referees for the November Springbok Tests (all SA times)
Ireland vs. South Africa on November 5 in Dublin. Nika Amashukeli is the referee (Georgia). Start: 7.30 p.m.
Marseille, France vs. South Africa, November 12. Wayne Barnes is the referee (England). 10 p.m. kickoff
Italy vs. South Africa on November 19 at Genoa. Mike Adamson is the referee (Scotland). 3 p.m. kickoff
England vs. South Africa on November 26 in London. arbitrator: Angus Gardner (Australia). Start: 7.30 p.m.
Match referees during the SA A Tour (both SA times)
Cork and Munster on November 10. Karl Dickson is the referee (England). Start: 8.30 p.m.
Bristol Bears, November 17. Bristol. Judge: Adam Jones (Wales). Start: 8.30 p.m.
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- Exploring the Growing Popularity of Esports Betting
- The team performed well today due to many strong individual performances. Rulani Mokwena
- We intend to improve upon our competitive performance in order to keep the trophy. Connor Mailula
- Coach Rulani Mokwena: We must do our best to protect the trophy and go better than previous year
- They did great in giving everyone minutes, which is the best way to keep everyone satisfied. Rulani Mokwena
- Reserves of Pirates Pass Maritzburg
- Sundowns Ladies are prepared for their Super League debut against Richmond United
- Preview of the DStv Premiership: Mamelodi Sundowns
- Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies celebrates National Girls and Women in Sports Day
- Which are the best tennis bookmakers for India?