The family of the young father who was brutally murdered in front of his wife and baby on the N4 said an R50 000 reward is offered for information that could lead to the successful arrest and conviction of the three murderers.
This comes after the family of the young father killed in front of his wife and baby on the N4 demanded answers from Cele on why some murder cases were getting preferential treatment.
Juandre Kidson (29) from Brits was shot and killed in front of his wife and baby on the N4 while begging for mercy for his family. His wife, Johanette, was shot in the shoulder as she fought the robbers off, who tried to grab their baby from her arms.
The couple and their baby were driving on the Bakwena N4 towards Brits in their Hyundai SUV around 20:00 when they drove over rocks near the R512/Randburg exit.
Juandre stopped to replace a punctured tyre, and while he was busy, three armed men approached. Police said the three men overpowered Juandre and shot him in the head.
JUANDRE WAS BRUTALLY SHOT WHILE HE WAS PLEADING FOR MERCY
According to Juandre’s brother, Marco Kidson, he was BRUTALLY shot and killed while he was pleading for mercy for his family.
Juandre was declared dead on the scene.
It has been almost a week since the senseless murder of Juandre, and no arrests have been made yet.
NO ARRESTS HAVE BEEN MADE YET
“The reward is for anyone who can assist us with information that could lead to the successful arrest and conviction of the three murderers.”
Kidson said that if this area is known for being a hotspot for these incidents with police and the MEC for Community Safety well aware of the dangers, they as a family demand to know what is being done to prevent these types of crimes from reoccurring continuously.
“We want to know from the Minister of Police how many innocent people still have to die before something is done about this.
“The police must tell us what they have doing to improve security measures on the “platinum’ N4, which is a National route that we pay e-toll to use. They implemented E-tolls that was supposed to bring greater safety to our roads. Where is our safety? ” Kidson wanted to know.
Cele’s spokesperson Lirandzu Themba said the road is patrolled by Highway Patrol Unit, District Crime Combatting Unit and the station’s Visible policing as part of providing security. The district is also embarking on media awareness activities to sensitise motorists.
Kidson also wanted an explanation from the Minister of Police on why some murder cases are getting preferential treatment.
CELE SAID THE ROAD IS PATROLLED BY HIGHWAY PATROL UNITS
“Will Bheki Cele also implement a 72hour action plan to capture the murderers of my brother?” he asked.
Themba denied this, saying all cases receive priority attention from the police.
“It is his the Minister’s own prerogative which funeral he attends, as any member of society. Minister Cele and SAPS management also attend most if not all official SAPS funerals.”
Themba said it should be noted that the Minister of Police does not activate a 72-hour plan.
“That is done by SAPS at province or at national. It is important to clarify that the 72-hour activation plan is the mobilisation of maximum resources within 72 hrs and not arresting of suspects within 72 hours. This is the standard operating procedure with all serious and violent crime cases such as murder.”
This senseless murder comes one week after the murder of Hillary Gardee, the daughter of former EFF secretary-general Godrich Gardee.
Not only did Cele visit the murder scene, but he also attended her funeral. Cele also activated a 72-hour action plan last week, setting the police a deadline to find the perpetrators by Friday. On Friday, police arrested the first man in connection with her murder.
ALSO READ: Hillary’s family welcomed the arrest of a man linked to her BRUTAL murder
JUANDRE WAS KILLED A WEEK AFTER HILLARY GARDEE WAS MURDERED
Cele said at the funeral that Hillary’s murder could be politically motivated.
Two other men have also since been arrested. The three suspects arrested appeared in the Mbombela Magistrate’s Court.
Three suspects; Sipho Mkhatshwa, Philemon Lukhele and Mduduzi Nkala requested they be given medical attention, saying they were allegedly tortured while in custody.
Lukhele is a 39-year-old ANC member in Mpumalanga. He has been working for the ANC in the province for over 15 years. He is also an exiled Swazi who is a member of the People’s United Democratic Movement (PUDEMO).