TDPel Media News Agency

King Mohammed VI grants royal pardon freeing Senegal football supporters jailed after violent AFCON final clashes in Rabat Morocco amid diplomatic relief between Morocco and Senegal

Oke Tope
By Oke Tope

A major diplomatic and sporting development unfolded on Saturday after Mohammed VI approved a royal pardon for Senegalese football supporters imprisoned following the violent scenes that erupted during the controversial 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final in Rabat.

According to a statement released by Morocco’s royal court, the decision was made for “humanitarian reasons” and also reflected the long-standing relationship between Morocco and Senegal.

The announcement came just days before the Muslim celebration of Eid al-Adha, which will be observed in Morocco on Wednesday.

The pardon is expected to free the remaining 15 Senegalese supporters who were still serving prison terms linked to the disorder that followed the dramatic AFCON final earlier this year.

A Final That Ended in Controversy

The 2025 AFCON final between Senegal and Morocco was already one of the most emotionally charged matches in recent African football history before it descended into chaos.

On January 18 in Rabat, Senegal initially secured a tense 1-0 victory over the host nation.

However, the atmosphere turned explosive during stoppage time after Moroccan officials were awarded a penalty moments after a Senegal goal had been ruled out.

Angry supporters reacted immediately. Some fans reportedly attempted to invade the pitch while others threw bottles and various objects toward security personnel and match officials inside Rabat’s Moulay Abdellah Stadium.

The confusion and violence overshadowed the football itself and triggered a wave of arrests by Moroccan authorities.

Prison Sentences Sparked Debate

In February, Moroccan courts handed prison terms to 18 Senegalese supporters detained after the final.

Sentences ranged from three months to one year depending on the severity of the accusations.

Authorities said the prosecutions were based largely on surveillance footage captured inside the stadium, along with medical evidence documenting injuries sustained by police officers and stewards during the unrest.

Officials also estimated that property damage from the clashes exceeded €370,000, highlighting the scale of destruction caused that night.

Three supporters completed their shorter three-month sentences and were released in April, leaving 15 others still behind bars until the royal intervention.

Lawyer Patrick Kabou, who represented many of the accused supporters, told AFP the remaining detainees were expected to regain their freedom late Saturday.

Morocco and Senegal’s Deep Political Relationship

The royal pardon was not only seen as a humanitarian gesture but also as a diplomatic signal between two African nations with historically close ties.

Morocco and Senegal have maintained strong political, economic, and religious connections for decades.

Senegal has consistently backed Morocco on several regional issues, including Rabat’s position regarding Western Sahara.

Because of that relationship, tensions surrounding the AFCON final had become politically sensitive beyond football.

Analysts believe the king’s decision was designed partly to calm emotions and prevent the football dispute from damaging broader cooperation between the countries.

AFCON Title Still Under Dispute

While the jailed supporters may soon walk free, the dispute over the tournament itself is far from resolved.

Despite Senegal’s victory on the pitch, the Confederation of African Football later ruled administratively that Morocco should be awarded the 2025 AFCON title.

CAF announced the controversial decision on March 17 after reviewing the incidents that interrupted the final and examining disciplinary reports connected to crowd violence and security breaches.

Senegal strongly rejected the ruling and filed an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport, hoping to overturn the administrative decision.

The legal battle could become one of the biggest sports arbitration cases in African football history.

Football Violence Continues to Trouble African Competitions

Crowd disorder has remained a recurring issue in several major African football tournaments over the years.

From pitch invasions to clashes between fans and security forces, CAF has repeatedly faced criticism over stadium safety, crowd control, and officiating standards.

The Rabat final once again raised concerns about how high-pressure matches are managed, especially when controversial refereeing decisions occur late in games.

Security experts say African football authorities may now face increased pressure to strengthen crowd management systems, improve emergency response planning, and modernize stadium surveillance operations.

Impact and Consequences

The royal pardon is likely to reduce diplomatic tensions between Morocco and Senegal while improving public sentiment ahead of Eid celebrations.

For the detained supporters and their families, the decision represents emotional relief after months of uncertainty and imprisonment abroad.

However, the controversy surrounding the AFCON final continues to cast a shadow over CAF’s credibility.

Many football fans across Africa remain divided over whether Morocco deserved to receive the trophy through an administrative ruling rather than on-field victory.

The incident could also influence how future continental finals are organized, particularly regarding security procedures and disciplinary frameworks.

Financially, the violence left behind significant repair costs, while reputational damage affected both the tournament and African football governance.

What’s Next?

Attention will now shift toward the legal proceedings at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Senegal’s appeal could potentially overturn CAF’s decision or force a compromise solution regarding the 2025 AFCON title.

Meanwhile, Moroccan authorities are expected to complete the release process for the remaining Senegalese supporters following the royal pardon.

CAF may also face growing calls to review its disciplinary and competition regulations to avoid similar controversies in future tournaments.

Football observers will closely watch whether relations between Moroccan and Senegalese fans improve ahead of future international fixtures.

Summary

Morocco’s King Mohammed VI has pardoned the remaining Senegalese football supporters jailed after the chaotic 2025 AFCON final in Rabat.

The decision, described as humanitarian, comes amid strong diplomatic relations between Morocco and Senegal and ahead of Eid al-Adha celebrations.

The supporters had been imprisoned following violent scenes during the final, which Senegal originally won before CAF later awarded the title to Morocco through an administrative ruling.

Senegal has appealed that decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, meaning the controversy surrounding the tournament remains unresolved.

Bulleted Takeaways

  • Mohammed VI granted a humanitarian pardon to jailed Senegalese football supporters.
  • The supporters were arrested after violence erupted during the 2025 AFCON final in Rabat.
  • Moroccan courts had sentenced 18 Senegalese fans to prison terms ranging from three months to one year.
  • Three supporters were previously released in April after completing their sentences.
  • The royal pardon is expected to free the remaining 15 detainees.
  • Senegal initially won the AFCON final 1-0 before CAF later awarded the title to Morocco administratively.
  • Senegal has appealed CAF’s ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
  • Stadium damage from the unrest reportedly exceeded €370,000.
  • The incident has renewed concerns about crowd violence and security management in African football competitions.
Spread the News. Auto-share on
Facebook Twitter Reddit LinkedIn

Oke Tope profile photo on TDPel Media

About Oke Tope

Temitope Oke is an experienced copywriter and editor. With a deep understanding of the Nigerian market and global trends, he crafts compelling, persuasive, and engaging content tailored to various audiences. His expertise spans digital marketing, content creation, SEO, and brand messaging. He works with diverse clients, helping them communicate effectively through clear, concise, and impactful language. Passionate about storytelling, he combines creativity with strategic thinking to deliver results that resonate.