TDPel Media News Agency

Russia Accuses Ukraine of Launching Deadly Drone Strike on Student Dormitory in Starobelsk as Children Die and UN Security Council Erupts in Emergency Session

Lola Smith - Author Profile Picture
By Lola Smith

Russia’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Vassily Nebenzia, delivered a forceful statement before the United Nations Security Council following a deadly strike in Starobelsk that Moscow blames on Ukrainian forces.

Speaking during an emergency UNSC briefing on May 22, Nebenzia described the incident as a “terrorist attack” against civilians and accused Kyiv of deliberately targeting a student dormitory connected to the Lugansk State Pedagogical University.

According to the Russian envoy, the attack occurred in the early hours of May 22 when four fixed-wing drones allegedly struck administrative buildings and a dormitory housing teenage students.


Dormitory Collapse Leaves Children Dead and Dozens Injured

Russian officials told the Security Council that 86 students between the ages of 14 and 18, along with one staff member, were inside the dormitory at the time of the strike.

Nebenzia claimed the five-story building partially collapsed down to the second floor after multiple impacts. As of the afternoon briefing, Russian authorities said six people had been confirmed dead while more than 40 children suffered injuries ranging from minor to critical.

He added that rescue operations were continuing amid fears that additional victims remained trapped beneath the rubble.


Moscow Accuses Kyiv of Deliberately Targeting Civilians

During his remarks, Nebenzia strongly rejected suggestions that the strike may have been accidental or linked to air defense activity. He alleged the attack involved three separate waves of drones hitting the same location, which Russia argues demonstrates intentional targeting.

The Russian diplomat told the Security Council that there were no military facilities near the college and insisted that those inside the building were civilians with no role in combat operations.

Moscow characterized the strike as a war crime under international humanitarian law and accused the Ukrainian government of intentionally attacking sleeping children inside the dormitory.


Russia Links Western Support to Ukrainian Drone Operations

Nebenzia also accused NATO countries of providing technical assistance, intelligence support, and targeting information to Ukrainian forces conducting long-range drone strikes.

According to the Russian representative, Western military aid has enabled Ukraine to continue attacks on civilian infrastructure inside Russian-controlled territories.

He further argued that the Starobelsk incident demonstrated what Moscow described as Kyiv’s unwillingness to pursue negotiations or a peaceful settlement to the conflict.


Claims of Rising Civilian Casualties

In his address, Nebenzia cited Russian figures claiming that at least 100 civilians, including eight children, were killed during April as a result of Ukrainian military actions. He also claimed hundreds more were wounded in shelling and drone strikes.

The Russian envoy stated that over the previous week alone, more than 200 Russian citizens had reportedly been injured or killed in attacks attributed to Ukrainian forces.

Ukraine has repeatedly denied intentionally targeting civilians and has accused Russia of using civilian casualty narratives for propaganda purposes throughout the war.


Russia Calls for International Condemnation

At the conclusion of the emergency meeting, Russia urged international organizations and national governments to condemn the Starobelsk strike and publicly denounce what Moscow described as terrorism against civilians.

Nebenzia warned that silence from the international community would amount to complicity and indifference toward children allegedly killed or injured in the attack.

The statement adds to escalating diplomatic tensions at the United Nations as both Russia and Ukraine continue trading accusations over civilian casualties during the ongoing war.


Impact and Consequences

The Starobelsk strike and the subsequent UN confrontation are likely to deepen international divisions over accountability in the Russia-Ukraine war. The incident has intensified accusations surrounding attacks on civilian infrastructure and the growing use of drones in populated areas.

Russia’s allegations against NATO countries could also heighten geopolitical tensions between Moscow and Western governments already involved in supporting Ukraine militarily and financially.

The emotional focus on injured children and collapsed student housing may further amplify global scrutiny over civilian safety in conflict zones.


What’s Next?

Investigations and rescue efforts in Starobelsk are expected to continue as casualty figures evolve. Russia may push for additional UN discussions or international inquiries into the incident.

Ukraine could reject or challenge Russia’s claims regarding responsibility and intent, while Western governments may face renewed criticism from Moscow over military support provided to Kyiv.

The diplomatic fallout from the incident is also expected to become part of the broader political and information battle surrounding the war.


Summary

Russia used an emergency UN Security Council meeting to accuse Ukraine of carrying out a deliberate drone strike on a student dormitory in Starobelsk.

Russian envoy Vassily Nebenzia claimed the attack killed children, injured dozens, and amounted to a war crime.

Moscow also alleged that NATO countries provided assistance for Ukrainian drone operations, while calling for international condemnation of the strike.


Bulleted Takeaways

  • Russia convened an emergency UNSC meeting after the Starobelsk strike
  • Russian envoy Vassily Nebenzia accused Ukraine of targeting a student dormitory
  • Moscow said four drones struck the college complex on May 22
  • Russian officials claimed six people were killed and more than 40 injured
  • Authorities said the dormitory housed teenagers aged 14 to 18
  • Russia alleged the attack was deliberate and constituted a war crime
  • Moscow accused NATO countries of assisting Ukrainian drone operations
  • Russia called on the international community to condemn the attack
  • Ukraine has previously denied intentionally targeting civilians in the conflict
Spread the News. Auto-share on
Facebook Twitter Reddit LinkedIn

Lola Smith profile photo on TDPel Media

About Lola Smith

Lola Smith is a highly experienced writer and journalist with over 25 years of experience in the field. Her special interest lies in journalistic writeups, where she can utilize her skills and knowledge to bring important stories to the public eye. Lola’s dedication to her craft is unparalleled, and she writes with passion and precision, ensuring that her articles are informative, engaging, and thought-provoking. She lives in New York, USA.