Fresh strike likely in varsities over sharing of N22.1b earned allowances.

Fresh strike likely in varsities over sharing of N22.1b earned allowances.

Non-teaching university and inter-university centre employees are threatening to strike over the N22.127 billion payment formula for earned allowances for university employees, which was just approved.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) was given 75 percent of the approved N22.127 billion, while SSANU, NASU, and NAAT were given the remaining 25 percent.

The government recently issued N40 billion for earned allowances to the four university-based unions, and ASUU was given the same percentage, causing a crisis in the university system.

The JAC has expressed its displeasure in a letter addressed to Labour and Employment Minister Chris Ngige, urging him to intervene in avoidable crisis in the universities.

The letter, titled: Refusal of Federal Government to Honour Memorandum of Action, was signed by NASU General Secretary Peters Adeyemi and SSANU National President Mohammad Ibrahim.

Some of the contentious issues in the letter include: payment of minimum wage consequential adjustment arrears, alleged inconsistencies in IPPIS payment, payment of hazard responsibility allowance to deserving members and the earned allowances.

“Contrary to the content of the Memorandum of Action of February 25, 2021 and the decision reached at the subsequent meeting of August 26, 2021, the information at our disposal as of the time of writing this letter indicates that the Federal Government has agreed to release another tranche of N22.127 billion for the payment of earned allowances to the universities and inter-university centre workers at the ratio 75:25 per cent.

“We are alarmed at this lack of sensitivity on the part of government when not long ago, non-teaching workers protested the sharing formula applied by the Federal Government at 75:25 for the disbursement of the last tranche of N40 billion released for payment of earned allowances to teaching and non-teaching workers of our universities…”

»Fresh strike likely in varsities over sharing of N22.1b earned allowances.«

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *