Cricket Australia apologizes to all sexual abuse victims

Cricket Australia apologizes to all sexual abuse victims

Monday in Sydney, Cricket Australia apologized to survivors of child sexual abuse and demanded more action to address the “appalling situation” in the sport in the country.

The national governing body of the sport has joined a redress program for victims of institutional child sexual abuse, but Cricket Australia chairman Lachlan Henderson has urged state organizations to also join.

“Historical child sex abuse is an abhorrent problem that society and numerous sports, including cricket, are attempting to address,” said Henderson.

We cannot alter what occurred, but we must do what we can to support the victims.

“On behalf of Cricket Australia, I apologize to anyone who experienced sexual assault while participating in Australian cricket.”

 

Earlier this year, a former young cricketer filed a lawsuit against Cricket Australia, alleging mistreatment during a 1985 under-19 tour of India and Sri Lanka.

Former state cricketer Ian King was imprisoned in 2009 for sexually assaulting schoolboy players as a coach in the 1980s and 1990s.

The Australian National Redress Scheme intends to support and pay victims of historical child sexual abuse in numerous institutions, as revealed by a government inquiry.

However, the system is contingent on organizations joining freely, which the majority of Cricket Australia’s state-based organizations have yet to do.

“We are pushing all states and territories to join the National Redress Scheme, and the CA board is presently considering additional measures to assist victims of abuse,” said Henderson.

AFP

»Cricket Australia apologizes to all sexual abuse victims«

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *