Breaking: Toxic cloud sends at least 20 kids to hospital in KZN

Breaking: Toxic cloud sends at least 20 kids to hospital in KZN

On Monday morning, the Richards Bay High School was rocked with a significant problem after a large number of students were transported to the hospital.
A gas leak from a nearby plant is thought to have created a ‘toxic cloud of ammonia,’ which has surrounded the facility and sickened ‘dozens of children.’
A statement issued by a local air quality group has confirmed that a gas leak has been recorded at a nearby station. Details remain sketchy at this stage, but numerous emergency response teams have rushed to the school.

“The Richards Bay Clean Air Association (RBCAA) is aware of the situation and suspects a gas leak at Foskor based on SO2 exceedances recorded at our Arboretum station. We have made contact with Foskor and are awaiting feedback. The RBCAA has also notified the Authorities. An update will be provided as soon as we have more information.”
RBCAA statement

The issue has been noted by the City of uMhlathuze, and the municipality will make a statement in due course. It’s thought that the toxic cloud originated from the nearby Foskor plant.

Henning de Wet, a local councillor in the region, was able to confirm that ‘dozens of children’ required urgent medical attention as a result of the gas leak. The toxic substance in the air is believed to be ammonia.

“Between 20-30 learners have been affected by what is suspected to be an ammonia cloud, have been taken to hospital. The situation is very serious. The Richards Bay Clean Air Association, uMhlathuze Air Quality unit and other authorities are investigating the matter.”
Henning de Wet