The Defence and Security Accelerator (DASA) is pleased to launch a new Market Exploration called Alternative Navigation for Weapon Systems, which aims to explore alternatives to Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNNS) for military navigation.
This Market Exploration is being run on behalf of Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) and seeks to understand the range of technologies used for commercial positioning and navigation systems.
What alternatives are there for military grade navigation?
GNNS such as Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Galileo are widely used for commercial and military positioning and navigation, but these systems are vulnerable to jamming and spoofing.
In this market exploration, UK want to explore alternative navigation technologies that could be developed and trailed within the next 3 years.
The potential system should:
- be developed to an operational level in either a civilian or on military application
- currently be at a Technology Readiness Level of 4 or above
- not be solely reliant reliance on GNSS
- have the potential to be further developed to meet military specifications
- have sufficient accuracy to monitor position during deployment to within 5 metres.
Particular interest is in innovations from non-traditional defence suppliers and have a dedicated team of DASA Innovation Partners who can discuss your innovations and the Defence sector with you.
The market exploration is currently open. The deadline to submit proposals is April 7 2022.