The Duke of Sussex says in his new Netflix documentary series, Heart of Invictus, that he lacked a “support structure” and felt alone during this difficult time.
He entered the military at a time when “dirty word” described mental illness and now campaigns to change that.
While he could only answer for himself, he added, “Somewhere after that there was an unraveling and the trigger for me was actually returning from Afghanistan.” This was in reference to his time spent flying Apache helicopters in Afghanistan in 2012.
But the memories that were surfacing were from 1997, when I was 12 and had to deal with the trauma of my mother’s death without ever really understanding it or talking about it.
The author says, “I didn’t really talk about it – and I suppressed it like most youngsters would have done, but when it all came fizzing out I was bouncing off the walls, I was like, ‘What is going on here, I am now feeling everything as opposed to being numb.'”
Instagram/@dtopk9 shows Prince Harry during a Netflix viewing.
On Wednesday morning at 8 a.m. in the United Kingdom, a documentary chronicling the journey of a group of injured and ill service members to a paralympic-style sporting competition organized by Harry in 2014 was released.
Harry made an appearance to launch the series during a special screening of all five episodes in California.
A video of Harry discussing the difficulties faced by veterans and their families during military service has gone viral on social media.
Army veteran Harry, who served two tours in Afghanistan, opens the first episode of the 45-minute series by explaining why he never intended to enlist as a father, adding, “It’s never the individual signing up – it’s the whole family signing up.”
In response to the question, “What do I do?” he said in the documentary. On any given day, I am the father of two children younger than three.Some dogs belong to me. I’m a married man. I am honored to serve as the organization’s first patron.
“One wears many hats, but I think Invictus is the one that matters most today.”
The project is part of the Sussexes’ multimillion-pound partnership with Netflix; thus far, their main production has been last year’s contentious Harry & Meghan documentary, for which the duke served as executive producer.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge opened out about their struggles within the royal family in a six-part series that aired in December of last year.