Officials to be Penalized for not punishing Andre Onana against Wolves

Officials to be Penalized for not punishing Andre Onana against Wolves

Three Premier League referees who were instrumental in preventing Wolves from converting a penalty against Manchester United have been suspended from this weekend’s league games.

On Monday, August 14, United goalkeeper Andre Onana clashed with Sasa Kalajdzic, but he did not make contact with the ball, depriving Wolves of a late penalty.

According to reports, Wolves manager Gary O’Neil was informed by the manager of elite referees, Jon Moss, that he “could not believe” the error.

Raphael Varane’s 76th-minute header gave United a 1-0 victory, and Howard Webb, the head of referees for PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Limited), reportedly apologized to Wolves officials after the game.

Referee Simon Hooper, video assistant referee (VAR) Michael Salisbury, and assistant VAR Richard West are regarded as “not selected” rather than being “dropped” for the next weekend games because the appointments had not been made prior to the Manchester United vs. Wolves game on Monday.

However, due to everyone’s failure to award Manchester United the injury-time penalty, they will have to watch the upcoming weekend games from their homes.

While Michael Salisbury, the VAR, should have brought the event to Simon Hooper’s notice for further investigation, the on-field referee, Simon Hooper, did not penalize the incident.

“Jon Moss said it was a blatant penalty and should have been given – fair play to him, he apologized,” coach Gary O’Neil said.

“I’ve spent a lot of time with him today trying to comprehend the new rules and attempting to avoid getting booked in the first game, which I failed to do.

Fair play to Jon for admitting there was a clear mistake and for asking why neither the on-field referee nor video assistant referee intervened.

Actually, I think that made me feel worse since you are absolutely correct.

I feel more worse about going empty-handed.

I was informed live that they did not consider the issue to be obvious.

When queried about the incident after Monday’s game, goalkeeper Andre Onana of Cameroon argued that it was simply a collision between two players and not a penalty offense.

The goalkeeper responded, “No, goalkeepers make decisions; sometimes you are correct, sometimes you are not.

“I decided, and I’m accountable for everything. For me, it was two large people making contact, and nothing occurred.

But winning was the most crucial thing for us, and I’m glad we did.

Of course, I had faith that [no punishment would be imposed].