…By Alan Peterson for TDPel Media.
At the annual general meeting of the Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council, a council leader and new mayor have been elected.
This event took place this week and marked the start of the 2023/2024 period for the council.
The members decided to re-elect Councillor Steve Hunt as the leader of the council, a role he has held since 2022.
Councillor Alun Llewelyn was also re-elected as the deputy leader.
Continued Leadership by Councillor Steve Hunt
Councillor Steve Hunt expressed gratitude to everyone who supported his re-election as the council leader.
He acknowledged the political changes the council has experienced and emphasized the need for all members to adapt and establish new relationships.
Despite these challenges, he highlighted the significant accomplishments made in a relatively short period of time.
Councillor Hunt accepted the role with pride and pledged to continue serving the people of Neath Port Talbot County Borough to the best of his ability.
New Mayor and Deputy Mayor Appointed
Councillor Chris Williams of Bryncoch South has taken over the position of Mayor for the 2023/2024 term.
He succeeded Councillor Robert Wood in this role and expressed his honor at being chosen as the first citizen of Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council.
He noted the difficult years the council has faced and expressed pleasure at seeing a full chamber during this important occasion.
Councillor Matthew Crowley of Sandfields East has been appointed as the deputy mayor.
Allocation of Cabinet Portfolios
During the meeting, the council also decided on the cabinet portfolio positions for the upcoming year.
The following charges were assigned:
– Community and Strategic Leadership/Leader: Councillor Steve Hunt
– Finance, Performance, and Social Justice: Councillor Simon Knoyle
– Education and Early Years: Councillor Nia Jenkins
– Climate Change and Economic Growth: Councillor Jeremy Hurley
– Nature, Tourism, and Well-being: Councillor Cen Phillips
– Children and Family Services: Councillor Sian Harris
– Adult Social Services and Health: Councillor Jo Hale
– Housing and Community Safety: Councillor Alun Llewelyn
– Strategic Planning, Transport, and Connectivity: Councillor Wyndham Griffiths
– Streetscene: Councillor Scott Jones
With the council leader, mayor, and deputy mayor roles filled, as well as the allocation of cabinet portfolios, Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council is set to embark on the new civic year.
The elected officials expressed their commitment to serving the community and addressing the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn