Mother of Electrocuted Boy Calls for Annual Safety Inspections at Pubs

Mother of Electrocuted Boy Calls for Annual Safety Inspections at Pubs

In a tragic incident that occurred in September 2018, a 7-year-old boy named Harvey Tyrrell lost his life due to electrocution at the King Harold pub in Romford, east London.


The young boy’s mother, Danielle Jones, is now advocating for the enforcement of annual safety inspections at pubs to prevent similar accidents in the future.

The unfortunate incident took place when Harvey Tyrrell came into contact with unsafe lighting in the pub’s garden, resulting in a fatal shock.

The owner of the pub, David Bearman, was subsequently sentenced to nine years in prison in 2021 for Harvey’s manslaughter.

The lights responsible for the tragic incident were installed by Colin Naylor, Bearman’s brother-in-law, an electrician who was found guilty of failing to fulfill his duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act.


Naylor received a 12-month jail sentence.

Almost five years after the incident, Danielle Jones is advocating for stricter safety measures at pubs.

She is urging for annual safety inspections to be mandatory for all pubs, replacing the current requirement of an electric installation condition report every five years.

Jones emphasizes that establishments failing to meet these safety standards should not be permitted to open their doors to the public or serve alcohol.

Danielle Jones spoke about the ongoing impact of her son’s tragic death, expressing the profound difficulty of living without him.


Despite the passage of time, the pain only intensifies, as Harvey was an integral part of their family.

The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC), responsible for potential legislative changes, acknowledged the sad case and extended condolences to the family.

However, they clarified that while building regulations are under review, there are no immediate plans to amend them.

During the trial related to Colin Naylor’s actions, it was revealed that the lighting circuit in the garden had “significant defects,” including inadequate insulation against water ingress.

The trial judge characterized the pub as a “disgrace” and a potential “timebomb waiting to go off.”


In June, Danielle Jones urged pubs, restaurants, and other hospitality venues to prioritize the safety of electrical installations and equipment in outdoor spaces as the summer season commenced.

She emphasized the importance of regular checks, especially considering the increase in activity during this time of the year.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE), the UK’s national workplace regulator, has outlined guidelines for venues to ensure electrical safety.

These guidelines include arranging for competent individuals to conduct electrical installation work, using equipment specifically designed for outdoor use, and regularly inspecting equipment for damage or water ingress.

The incident has shed light on the need for enhanced safety measures at establishments across the UK.


Data from the British Beer & Pub Association indicates that there were around 27,000 pubs with beer gardens in the UK in 2020, underscoring the significance of addressing safety concerns in such spaces.


Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media