Bodies of those killed in the Joburg central business district fire will be released to their relatives on Friday.

Bodies of those killed in the Joburg central business district fire will be released to their relatives on Friday.

On Friday, 1 September 2023, the bodies of those who perished in the Johannesburg CBD fire will be released to their families, as announced by the Gauteng Health Department.

Authorities have confirmed that at least 74 people died in the blaze which broke out at a five-storey building on the corner of Delver and Albert streets, in the early hours of Thursday morning.
According to reports, about 40 persons were hurt.
The building in the center of the disaster in Johannesburg’s central business district belonged to the city, but was stolen.

SURVIVAL COUNSELING FOR THE FAMILIES OF THE JOBURG CBD FIRE VICTIMS
Diepkloof morgue in Soweto, where the victims of the Johannesburg CBD fire have been transported, will be open all weekend, according to the provincial health department. Counseling services will be provided to help the families cope with the tragedy, it is said.

Families are welcome to drop by anytime between 9 and 3. On both days this weekend, the service will be available. Bereaved families will also have access to counseling services. Those who claim to be related to the deceased must bring a government-issued photo ID or birth certificate to the morgue in order to properly identify the body. The government requested “a passport or asylum seeker certificate if the decedent was a foreign national.

A great tragedy, according to RAMAPHOSA.
President Cyril Ramaphosa, who went to the scene of the fire in the Johannesburg Central Business District, said it should serve as a wake-up call for the city to deal with its housing crisis.

As is customary in the central business district, the burning structure was being used illegally.
Once a shelter for battered women and children, Ramaphosa explained to media that the property had been “hijacked” by unlawful landlords who were collecting rent from the residents after the original contract had expired.

He remarked, “Our hearts go out to everyone who is affected by this disaster, especially the families whose loved ones perished in this terrible manner.”
PRESIDENT Cyril Ramaphosa POSTPONES NATION ADDRESS TO VISIT JOHANNESBURG CORE BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT FIRE

Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn

Read Related News On TDPel Media

Advertisement
Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)