Diepsloot crime victim laid to rest

Diepsloot crime victim laid to rest

One of the South Africans killed in Diepsloot earlier this week is being laid to rest on Saturday. Twenty-nine-year-old Khulekani Nzima was stabbed in the early hours of Monday morning.

Police Minister Bheki Cele says between October and December last year 11 South Africans were killed in Diepsloot.

The murders sparked community protests in the township this week leading to Cele deploying more officers and patrol vehicles to Diepsloot.

Diepsloot Unrest | Family of one of the victims killed over the weekend speaks out:

Hundreds of people converged under a white marquee to pay their last respects.

His grandfather struggling to hold back tears slammed the perpetrators: “Whoever did this, will he see heaven or live in this world forever, we crying tears because we are hurt.”

Residents express unhappiness with conduct of some community leaders:


Cele says about 120 police officers including Public Order Police have been deployed to Diepsloot to monitor the situation.

Tension ran high this week with some residents blaming undocumented foreign nationals for the high crime rate.

Meanwhile, President Cyril Ramaphosa has called on the public to refrain from taking the law into their own hands, following the unrest in Diepsloot, north of Johannesburg.

Residents are calling on law enforcement to be pro-active against crime and illegal immigration.

A Zimbabwean national was killed earlier this week after Diepsloot protestors accused him of being in the country illegally.

President Ramphosa has voiced his opposition to civilians forcing people to prove their residency status.

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯