On the fourth day of his murder trial at Maidstone Crown Court, he changed his plea to guilty. Fuller acknowledged to sexually abusing victims in two Kent hospital morgues over a 12-year period, after previously denying murder.
After he was re-arrested, Justice Cheema-Grubb instructed the jury to find him guilty on both counts of murder.
“This is a horrible occurrence,” Home Secretary Priti Patel remarked. The heinous nature of the crimes will undoubtedly elicit public outrage and alarm.
“I would also like… to remember Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce, two young women who had their lives brutally taken away from them over 30 years ago. I hope their families can find some solace in seeing justice finally done.”
Ahead of the trial, he had pleaded guilty to 51 offences, including 44 charges relating to 78 identified victims in the two mortuaries where he worked as an electrician.
The case came together following recent advances in DNA testing – and a huge police operation costing £2.5m – which linked Fuller to the double killings, dubbed “the Bedsit Murders”, investigators explained.
It was gathered that his saliva and other DNA was found on Ms Knell’s bedding, towel and intimate samples. Evidence indicated that she was raped during or after her death. Knell was killed in her home in Guildford Road on 23 June 1987. She was found in her bed by her boyfriend the following day, after concerns were raised when she failed to turn up to work.
Similarly, Fuller’s semen was also found on Ms Pierce’s tights, the only item of clothing she was reportedly wearing when her body was found in a water-filled dyke three weeks after her abduction.
After Fuller was arrested for murders, his house was searched and millions of indecent images and videos of children and extreme pornography on hard drives, floppy discs, DVDs and memory cards were found in his loft and spare room.
According to reports, two of the drives were hidden in a box, which was screwed to the back of a chest of drawers and placed inside a wardrobe. On these drives, officers found footage Fuller had recorded of himself abusing corpses in the morgues
Some of the folders which were labelled with the names of the victims, contained images and videos of him molesting female bodies, including three children, between 2008 and November 2020.
Police were unable to identify 20 of the victims.
Det Ch Supt Paul Fotheringham: “Sadly, it is likely to be the case that some of the victims will never be identified.
“In these cases there is such limited information available to help us with establishing their identities, and there are no lines of enquiry outside of the investigation that can assist us.”
Fuller worked in electrical maintenance at hospitals since 1989 and was at the Kent and Sussex Hospital, until it closed in September 2011.
He was transferred to the Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury, where the offences continued until his arrest.
According to investigators, Fuller would work late shifts and go into the morgue when other staff had left, often “visiting the same bodies repeatedly”.
A date is yet to be set for Fuller’s sentencing.
Knell’s family, in a written statement released after Fuller changed his plea, said for 34 years they had wanted to know who killed her, and “how she spent her last moments alive”.
“We now know, and sadly it’s much worse than we could ever have imagined.
“Hopefully, we can now start to grieve and move past the pain and start to remember her as the beautiful, kind, generous, caring, funny girl she was.
“Although the guilty plea won’t change anything deep down, as the pain and loss will always be there, it’s good knowing he will not be in a position to hurt or cause any more pain.”
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media Below↯↯↯
In The News On TDPel Media:
- Mozambique Soldiers accused of abusing Civilians Mozambique’s military chief says some troops fighting Islamist insurgents in the north of the country have been abusing ‘civilians and stealing’ property. Admiral Joaquim...
- Man Who Sexually Assaulted A Sleeping Woman In Bournemouth Is Jailed For Longer United Kingdom – A man who sexually assaulted a woman in Bournemouth while she slept has had his sentence increased following the intervention of the...
- Warwickshire man who sexually assaulted sleeping woman handed immediate prison sentence A Warwickshire sex offender has been imprisoned following an intervention by the Solicitor General, the Rt Hon Lucy Frazer QC MP. After attending a wedding...
- 48-year-old man accused to sexually molesting his friend’s three daughters The suspect is a On Thursday morning, October 21, a 48-year-old man accused of sexually abusing three girls made his initial appearance in the Mitchells...
- Fresh killings: Plateau State Re-imposes 24hours curfew on Jos-North LGA after youths take victims’ corpses to Government House It was a sad Wednesday as plateau youths trooped en masse to the Plateau State government house to air their grievances over the killings of...
- Ikoyi Collapsed Building: Corpses Ready For Identification By Families, Says Lasg The Lagos State Government announced on Friday that the bodies retrieved from the collapsed building in Ikoyi are ready for identification, and that relatives of...
- Rust Set Shooting: Assistant Director admits Gun was not checked Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer for the film Rust, says she checked the ammunition prior to Alec Baldwin being given the gun and “ensured they were not ‘hot’ rounds....
- Property developer gets 14 year ban for abusing £13m investments TDPel News –Mitchell Mallin (34), from Chelmsford, Essex, was director of Essex and London Properties Limited. The company targeted investors with the promise that their...
- Insolvency Service takes action against businesses abusing COVID-19 financial support Raashid Khan (26) has been disqualified as a director for 12 years after fraudulently claiming £50,000 through the Bounce Back Loan Scheme (BBLS) before transferring...
- Five suspects arrested in connection to Phoenix murders Acting Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni says five suspects have been arrested in relation to the murders in Phoenix, in KwaZulu-Natal following incidents of...