Convicted Stalker’s Armed Assault Ends in Fatal Confrontation with Police

Convicted Stalker’s Armed Assault Ends in Fatal Confrontation with Police


A shocking incident unfolded in Surrey Quays as police shot dead Bryce Hodgson, a 30-year-old crossbow attacker, who attempted to force his way into a three-storey home on Bywater Place.

Hodgson, a convicted stalker and cannabis smoker, was killed by armed officers after threatening residents with an arsenal of weapons, including crossbows, a knife, and an axe.

Background of the Attacker:

Bryce Hodgson, born in Sheffield and previously residing in Middlesbrough until 2015, had a history of being a convicted stalker.

Last June, he pleaded guilty to stalking involving serious alarm or distress, including entering a woman’s bedroom without consent and sending distressing text messages.

Despite a five-year court restraining order, Hodgson was caught attempting to break into Bywater Place, where the shooting occurred.

Attack and Police Response:

Armed with body armor, two crossbows, a knife, and an axe, Hodgson threatened residents, leading to an armed police response.

Unarmed officers initially attempted to engage with him, but the situation escalated.

In the confrontation, Hodgson managed to break into the building, prompting armed officers to fire two shots, ultimately causing his death.

Eyewitness Accounts and Aftermath:

Witnesses reported hearing a man and woman screaming moments before the shooting.

Hodgson’s mask, body armor, crossbow bolts, and military boots were found strewn across the road after officers disarmed him to perform first aid.

Neighbors recounted being ordered to stay away from windows as the dramatic events unfolded in the quiet cul-de-sac.

Legal History and Independent Investigation:

Hodgson, despite his previous conviction, avoided prison, receiving a 12-month supervision order and 120 hours of community service.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) confirmed Hodgson was carrying an array of weapons and initiated an independent investigation into the shooting.

The IOPC stated that two shots were fired by police, emphasizing further analysis.

Community Reassurance and Official Responses:

Local authorities, including Met’s assistant commissioner Matt Twist, expressed confidence that the officers’ actions prevented further loss of life.

Detective chief superintendent Seb Adjei-Addoh conveyed thoughts for those affected, while Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, offered support to those impacted by the incident.

Fatal police shootings are rare in the UK, with this incident marking a significant and unusual occurrence.

TDPel Media

This article was published on TDPel Media. Thanks for reading!

Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn

Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)