Commencement of Learner Placement Process for 2024
The Gauteng Department of Education initiated the learner placement process for grade one and grade eight students for the year 2024. While this process is routine for some parents, it can be perplexing for others, particularly those navigating the department’s online application system for the first time. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive breakdown of the entire placement process to assist parents.
Receiving Placement SMS and Taking Action Parents of prospective grade one and grade eight learners for 2024 will receive an SMS notification from the education department regarding their child’s application. This SMS will contain crucial information about the status of their application.
Placement Offer Acceptance
- When a placement offer is made, parents are required to respond within a specified timeframe of seven days.
- To accept the offer, parents should log in to the department’s website. They have two options: they can either confirm the offer as final, which means their child will be placed at the school, or they can provisionally accept an offer from a school while awaiting further offers from other schools.
Automatic Placement Notification
- If the SMS received by a parent indicates that their child has been placed at a particular school, it signifies that the child qualifies for placement at one of the schools they applied to, and this placement is automatic.
- Importantly, as placement offers are accepted by parents, schools may reach their capacity. In such cases, applicants who fail to accept an offer within the specified time may be transferred to schools with available space, as explained by the department.
Admission Criteria and Ranking
- Learners will be placed based on specific admission criteria until a school reaches its capacity.
- Priority is given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Reside within the school’s feeder zone.
- Have siblings already enrolled in the applied-for school.
- Attended a previous school within the feeder zone.
- Once these criteria have been met, placement offers will then be extended to applicants who:
- Have parents whose work address is within the school’s feeder zone.
- Reside within a 30km radius of the school.
- Reside beyond a 30km radius from the school.
Conclusion Navigating the learner placement process for grade one and grade eight students in Gauteng can be intricate, but understanding the steps and criteria involved is crucial. Parents should be vigilant about the SMS notifications they receive and take prompt action to secure their child’s placement. The department’s prioritization of applicants based on specific criteria ensures a fair and organized placement process.