This year marks Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s 70th year on the throne, making her the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee. This is an amazing milestone, an inspiring example of public service and a happy occasion for people in the United Kingdom and around the world to celebrate. Across the United Kingdom, there will be many celebrations taking place throughout this year, with a special series of events concentrated around The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Central Weekend on 3-6 June. Over Her Majesty’s 70 year reign, the Royal and Japanese Imperial families have enjoyed a close relationship and the wider partnership between the UK and Japan has gone from strength to strength in a wide range of areas; from cultural and educational exchanges to trade and investment links, and from defence and security cooperation to joint action on climate change. The British Embassy in Tokyo and British Consulate-General in Osaka would therefore like to bring the Platinum Jubilee celebrations to Japan and invite you to be part of them.
Who can participate?:
5-star Hotels in Japan serving afternoon tea
“Platinum Jubilee Afternoon Tea” and “Platinum Jubilee Cake” competition
Two of the activities that we are launching are, “The Platinum Jubilee Afternoon Tea” and a “Platinum Jubilee Cake Competition”.
Firstly, we would like to ask 5-star hotels around Japan to organise a celebratory festival of “Platinum Jubilee Afternoon Teas” for a period of their choice within the Platinum Jubilee year of 2022 and to create a cake (or cakes) fit for a Queen for your guests to enjoy. As part of this festival, each hotel should design and create a cake (or cakes) to be served at the afternoon teas.
Secondly, we will be holding a “Platinum Jubilee Cake competition” to select a cake to symbolise and form a key part of our celebrations. We would like to invite you to enter the cake that you serve at your afternoon tea into this competition.
- The cake (or cakes) should be an original creation and reflect something about the UK or the close partnership between the UK and Japan.
- The cake needs to have at least one ingredient from the UK.
- The cake design should be original and should not have been previously entered into another competition.
- There are no restrictions on the type of cake (pastry/ sponge/ tart etc.), but the cake design must be “fit for a Queen” and should be appropriate to be served at the Queen’s Birthday Party at the British Embassy Tokyo as well as at their own establishment during afternoon tea.
- Each hotel is welcome to make as many cake designs as they wish but you will only be allowed to enter one cake into the competition.
After confirming participation, we will provide you with relevant material, including the official Platinum Jubilee logo, which can be used for branding materials.
The short-listed candidates will be invited to bring their cakes to the British Embassy for the Queen’s Birthday Party in June where the winning cake will be announced. The winning cake will be an important part of the celebrations marking Her Majesty’s 70 years as Monarch.