Russia declares partial ceasefire allowing civilians to leave Mariupol

Russia declares partial ceasefire allowing civilians to leave Mariupol

Russia declared a partial ceasefire on Saturday in the two besieged towns of Mariupol and Volnovakha.

The Russian defence ministry said humanitarian corridors and exit routes had been agreed upon with the Ukrainian side.

This is to allow civilians to leave the two towns, both key targets in the Russian invasion of Ukraine unleashed on 24 February.

Russia’s Interfax news agency said Russian forces would be introducing a “quiet regime” from 10:00 Moscow time on Saturday to allow people to leave both Mariupol, a port on the Sea of Azov, and the eastern Ukrainian town of Volnovakha.

THE CITY HAS COME UNDER UNCEASING BOMBARDMENT FOR THE PAST FIVE DAYS

Furthermore, the statement said that on 5 March 2022, from 10:00 Moscow time, the Russian side is declaring a “quiet regime,” and humanitarian corridors are being opened for civilians from Mariupol and Volnovakha.

Officials in Mariupol, a city of roughly 500,000 people, reportedly said it has come under almost unceasing bombardment from Russian positions for the past five days, leaving most of its population without electricity, heat, and water.