One person killed in overnight mob attack in Diepsloot

One person killed in overnight mob attack in Diepsloot

Police have confirmed that one person has been killed in a mob attack in Diepsloot north of Johannesburg overnight.

They say 24 undocumented foreign nationals have also been arrested.

Scores of disgruntled residents have embarked on a protest over the escalating crime in the area.

Police spokesperson Brenda Muridili says officers are still trying to get statements from witnesses of the attack.

“I can confirm that overnight there was an incident of mob justice. Reports that we’re getting from witnesses is that there’s a small group of people that went from door to door and then when they got to this house, this young man just ran out of the house and they chased him and unfortunately he was killed.”

“As soon as the police got that information, they rushed to the scene but when they got there, the people had already been dispersed. At this stage, we cannot confirm the nationality of the deceased,” adds Muridili.

The video below is on the protest in Diepsloot:

Several roads in the area have been blockaded with burning tyres.

Police Minister Bheki Cele visited the area on Wednesday and promised that more than 50 police members, including 30 tactical response team members, and 16 new vehicles would be deployed to Diepsloot.

Meanwhile, Operation Dudula leader, Nhlanhla ‘Lux’ Dlamini, whose real name is Ntlantla Mohlauhi joined the protest in solidarity with the residents of Diepsloot.

He, however, said Operation Dudula was not operating in the area, adding that he was only there to support the community: “I am not here as Operation Dudula, I am here because I am a South African. We are here to support the community. I have relatives living here and they deserve to be safe in this area.”

The Diepsloot protest in pictures:

 

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media [https://tdpelmedia.com]↯↯↯

»Share Your Opinion On TDPel Media«