The Director General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration, and Control (NAFDAC), Prof. Moji Adeyeye, has warned the public of the risk involved in using Aluminum Phosphide 560TB pesticides, on Monday.
According to the warning that contained in a public alert with No. 009/2022 signed by the DG of NAFDAC, and issued to Newsmen.
Adeyeye said that, the warning followed the report of the death of three (3) children as announced by the Zimbabwean authorities, who said the death of the children was as a result of them inhaling the pesticides that had been applied to maize for storage.
She explained that, Aluminum Phosphide (AlP) is cheap, effective and commonly used pesticide. It is used as a rodenticide, insecticide and fumigant for stored cereal grains to kill small verminous mammals such as moles and rodents.
Adeyeye said that pesticides are now one of the most common causes of poisoning among agricultural pesticides, and it liberates lethal phosphine gas when it comes in contact either with atmospheric moisture or with hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
She further stressed that, the pesticides comes in different brand names such as Justoxin, Force Toxin, Phostoxin, Celphos, Multiphos and many more.
“The possible risk of this liquid chemical to the body is that human toxicity occurs either due to the ingestion of AlP (commonest mode) after exposure and injury from phosphine inhalation (uncommon) or even after absorption through the skin (rare).”
“The signs and symptoms are nonspecific, instantaneous and depend on the dose, route of entry and time-lapse since exposure to poison.”
“After inhalation exposure, patients commonly have airway irritation and breathlessness.”
“Other features may include dizziness, easy fatigability, tightness in the chest, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, ataxia, numbness, paraesthesia, tremor, muscle weakness, diplopia and jaundice.”
“In severe inhalation toxicity, the patient may develop acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), cardiac failure, cardiac arrhythmias, convulsion and coma, and late manifestation of hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity may also occur.”
“NAFDAC implores distributors, retailers, and consumers to exercise caution in the storage, ensure safe and proper handling of the chemical product,’’ Adeyeye said.
The NAFDAC Boss also advised members of the public to always read warning labels before purchase.
“Carefully follow label instruction for proper handling, proper application and proper storage.
“Ensure use of protective measures when handling pesticides such as wearing impermeable gloves, long pants, and long-sleeve, nose mask and safety glasses.”
She said, NAFDAC encourages consumers to report adverse events related to the use of this product to the nearest agency office, or NAFDAC PRASCOR (20543 TOLLS FREE from all networks) or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adeyeye added that the public could also report adverse events via the NAFDAC ADR e-Reporting platform available at www.nafdac.gov.ng
NAFDAC cautions Nigerians against aluminium phosphide pesticides