Murder In The Big Apple: The Tragic Tale of Jonathan Levin

Murder In The Big Apple: The Tragic Tale of Jonathan Levin

…By Judah Olanisebee for TDPel Media. The Jonathan Levin Murder Case: A Shocking Revelation


The Jonathan Levin murder case sent shockwaves through New York City, revealing a story of brutality and mystery.

Investigation Discovery’s documentary titled ‘Murder In The Big Apple: No Good Deed’ portrays the events surrounding the murder of Jonathan Levin, a well-liked high school teacher in New York City.

The incident took place in May 1997 when Levin was tortured and killed inside his apartment on Columbus Avenue.

The case gained significant attention due to his status as the son of a prominent figure.

The Death of Jonathan Levin

Jonathan M. Levin was born on May 6, 1966, in Manhasset, New York.


He was the son of Carol Needleman Levin and Gerald M. Levin, a highly influential individual who had once assumed the esteemed role of CEO at Time Warner.

After his parents’ separation in 1970, Jonathan resided in Manhasset alongside his mother and siblings.

He pursued higher education, obtaining degrees in English and psychology from Trinity College in Hartford in 1988.

Initially working for a travel insurance company, Jonathan later realized his passion for teaching.

Colleagues and friends described him as a dedicated teacher who engaged his students through innovative approaches, such as integrating rap into his poetry lessons.

Despite his father’s influence, Jonathan preferred a modest lifestyle.

He resided in a small one-bedroom apartment on Columbus Avenue, surrounded by stacks of magazines and simple wicker furniture.

Moreover, he often took care of his disadvantaged students, taking them to Yankees games and occasionally treating them to meals at local restaurants.


Jonathan’s desire to establish his own identity and not be solely known as his father’s son was evident in his interactions with others.

The Jonathan Levin Murder

Concerns arose among Jonathan’s colleagues when he failed to attend various appointments since May 31, 1997.

Alarmed by his absence, they contacted authorities after discovering his apartment door locked.

Upon entering the apartment with the assistance of a neighbor who possessed an emergency key, the police made a grim discovery.

Inside the residence, they encountered Jonathan’s deteriorated body, a distressing indication that he had tragically perished several days prior.

On June 2, 1997, the lifeless body of Jonathan Levin shocked the community.

Found fully clothed and bound with duct tape, he had been shot and stabbed to death.


Investigation and Arrests

Initial findings suggested that Jonathan knew his killer, as there were no signs of forced entry.

The discovery of a blood-stained knife and a fingerprint on a roll of duct tape provided valuable evidence in the Jonathan Levin murder case.

Surprisingly, the police found a withdrawal of $800 from Jonathan’s bank account on May 30, which raised suspicions about the killer’s motive.

The investigation took a significant turn when a message from a person named Corey Arthur was found on Jonathan’s answering machine.

It led the police to believe that Corey might be involved. Despite initial difficulties in identifying Corey, a breakthrough occurred when his fingerprints matched those found at the crime scene.

Corey Devon Arthur, a 19-year-old with a history of drug-related offenses, became the primary suspect.

Further investigation revealed a possible accomplice, Montoun Hart, who was implicated in a handwritten confession provided by Montoun himself.


According to the confession, Corey and Montoun planned to rob Jonathan after learning about his influential and wealthy father.

Allegedly, Corey tortured Jonathan to obtain his debit card code and subsequently shot him to prevent identification.

Where is Corey Now?

One week following Jonathan Levin’s murder, the NYPD’s tactical unit successfully apprehended Corey in New York.

While Montoun faced charges of second-degree murder and robbery, Corey faced more severe charges of first-degree murder and robbery.

Throughout the trial, Corey maintained his innocence, asserting that he and Jonathan had fallen victim to an ambush orchestrated by two unidentified assailants.

Despite the prosecution’s presentation of 70 witnesses, they managed to persuade the jury.

It led to Corey’s conviction for second-degree murder and first-degree robbery.


Currently, he is serving his sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution in Otisville, with a tentative release date in February 2024.

In contrast, Montoun was acquitted of the crime and subsequently arrested in 2020 for his involvement in a gun trafficking ring.

Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media

TDPel Media

This article was published on TDPel Media. Thanks for reading!

Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn

Advertisement: Download Vital Signs App (VS App)