KZN floods: Durban cemeteries allow families to proceed with burials

KZN floods: Durban cemeteries allow families to proceed with burials

“Burial bookings are open, except for eTafuleni where conditions are not yet conducive for burials,”
Msawakhe Mayisela

The spokesperson shared that people are advised to visit the relevant cemetery’s office to find out if there is burial space available. Requests for burials had to be denied during the week as the City was unable to do anything until the flooding situation improved.

Why was it stopped in the first place?

Mayisela shared that the ground had been saturated following the heavy rains and the situation was monitored at gravesites.

This was due to the ground being saturated after heavy rains. We monitored the situation at all our gravesites to ensure we are able to conduct burials. Since Tuesday, our councillors and officials are working closely with families of the deceased to ensure burial assistance is provided,” Mayisela told TimesLIVE.

KZN floods: Ntuzuma cemetery desecrated as human remains exposed

While most of the province awoke to the reality of destroyed homes and missing people after the unrelenting KZN floods, the community of Ntuzuma is reeling after human remains were exposed at their local cemetery.

The graves in Ntuzuma, north of Durban, are exposed due to the KZN floods. As the community walked the streets, they found skulls and partial skeletons lying by the wayside in a muddy deluge.

Many have taken to Twitter to spread the news of the human remains, a desecration of the peace the fallen citizens were allotted when they were buried. One Twitter user who goes as Zizi, with the handle @lungak_, simply said the Ntuzuma Cemetery is washed away after the KZN floods.

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯