Jonelle Anamelechi owns Children’s Choice Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics

Jonelle Anamelechi owns Children’s Choice Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics

I grew up extracting teeth for pleasure, so being a paediatric dentist was something I’ve always wanted to do.

Pediatric dentistry entails working together to care for your child’s teeth right away.

Teeth begin to erupt as early as 6 weeks after conception, and between the ages of 6 months and 1 year, there is a great deal of change.

In order to improve our chances of avoiding cavities, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry modified its guideline around 14 years ago from the previous suggestion that a kid should begin seeing a paediatric dentist at age 3.

At age 3, you have 20 teeth total and are already falling behind in your oral hygiene. The current suggested age is about 1, or six months after the eruption of the first tooth.

Parents should take their children to the dentist, and here’s why.

What to anticipate on your first visit

At the first session, we provide parents advice on how to care for their children’s teeth. We examine a variety of factors, including birth history, family and genetic history, and growth and development.

Diet is a factor in around 95% of dental caries. The remaining 5% may be accounted for by teeth that are weaker from birth. At the visit, I review diet with the parents, including flavoured drinks and the hidden offenders, such as pineapples and oranges.

These fruits are so acidic that they may damage the tooth’s enamel, which is the outer layer.

I advise parents to let go of any anticipations before to their first visit. When a kid is this age, we do a knee-to-knee assessment while they are lying on their parent’s lap.

We thoroughly assess the patient, clean and floss their teeth as necessary, and remove any additional accumulation.

Information on fluoride

I am often asked questions concerning fluoride. The American Academy of Periodontology advocates utilising fluoride right away since it outperforms all other risk management strategies for cavities.

I consider the child’s diet (do they consume a lot of fluoride-rich leafy green vegetables or tap water, for example) and the history of cavities in the family, as well as any other problems that could need more rigorous oral hygiene practices.

Every time they brush, a 1-year-old who is unable to spit should use a pea-sized quantity of fluoride toothpaste.

Families in my clinic that have children at low risk of cavities prefer alternate alternatives like xylitol and are receptive to such talks and options.

However, fluoride has been the subject of the greatest investigation since it is safe in small amounts and may prevent cavities.

More than only teeth are involved.

I’m here to assist you learn about healthy lives; paediatric dentistry is about more than just teeth. If there is a lip tie or tongue tie, I can also assist with nursing; breastfeeding does not, however, result in cavities. I also assist patients who have difficulties, like a recent woman in her 30s whose cognitive function necessitates juvenile dental care.

There are several advantages to seeing a paediatric dentist. Parents sometimes arrive feeling guilty because they fear being chastised or criticised for the choices they have made for their children, such as their nutrition or the use of pacifiers. I’m really here to inform and assist.

»Jonelle Anamelechi owns Children’s Choice Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics«

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯