...By Judah Olanisebee for TDPel Media.
The Dangers of Throwing Sticks for Dogs – A Miraculous Survival Story
A Springer Spaniel’s Traumatic Encounter during a Game of Fetch
This heart-wrenching story highlights the potential risks associated with playing fetch using sticks with our beloved canine companions.
It serves as a cautionary tale for dog owners, reminding us to prioritize the safety and well-being of our furry friends during playtime.
A Shocking Accident Leaves Ollie Impaled on a Stick
In an unfortunate turn of events, Ollie, a springer spaniel, found himself in a life-threatening situation when he impaled himself on a two-foot stick during a game of fetch.
The stick, thrown by his owner John Hall, landed with its point in the ground, and as Ollie enthusiastically chased after it, he ran onto the stick, causing it to snap and pierce his throat, skewering him up to his shoulder blades.
Quick Thinking and Emergency Veterinary Intervention
Ollie’s owners, John and Jan Hall, rushed to his aid upon hearing his distressing shrieks.
Jan attempted to remove the foot-long stick from Ollie’s mouth but soon realized the severity of his injuries.
Recognizing the need for immediate professional help, they promptly contacted a veterinary clinic.
Ollie was swiftly transported to the vets, where an emergency surgery lasting two hours was performed to remove the 12-inch obstruction lodged beneath his tongue.
A Miraculous Recovery and a Plea for Caution
Remarkably, Ollie survived the surgery without sustaining damage to any major organs or blood vessels, despite the gaping hole left in his throat.
After spending the night at the veterinary clinic, he was allowed to return home for a period of recovery.
However, Ollie’s ordeal serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers associated with throwing sticks for dogs.
The Importance of Choosing Safer Alternatives
Three months after the incident, Jan, Ollie’s owner, passionately advocates for dog owners to refrain from using sticks as toys and instead opt for safer alternatives like balls.
Highlighting the potential risks and injuries that can arise from using sticks, Jan urges fellow dog owners to exercise caution and prioritize their pets’ well-being.
She suggests using other toys that can be thrown to distract dogs while safely disposing of any stray sticks.
Spreading Awareness for a Safer Future
Jan’s plea for safer playtime practices extends beyond her personal experience, as she shares Ollie’s harrowing story on social media platforms to raise awareness among dog owners.
The veterinary clinic, Old Hall Veterinary Centre, echoes this sentiment, emphasizing the well-known dangers associated with stick play and urging pet owners to consider alternative toys that do not pose such risks.
By sharing Ollie’s miraculous survival and cautionary tale, they hope to prevent similar incidents and protect dogs from potential life-threatening injuries.