Fashion Design is the art & process of conceptualising designs for clothing & accessories and then executing these designs in create actual products that are stunning, stylish & functional. Fashion Designers use creative & technical capabilities, insights about customer’s preferences, market dynamics, ensuing fashion trends, socio-culture influences etc. and work with range of materials and/or fabrics in different colours, hues, patterns & textures to develop design concepts for distinct collection. He uses design softwares like CAD to convert these designs into references for client approvals. On approval, he creates prototypes to check the design feasibility and then collaborates with different departments & stakeholders for commercial manufacturing. He is also responsible for sales, marketing, distribution & merchandising of the products, so as to achieve revenue.
Fashion Designer may work in a design house or independently or for a clothing manufacturer and can specialize in a specific type of apparels or accessories. To be a success a fashion designer must be detail oriented, artistic, develop deep understanding of global fashion trends, be aware about traditional & contemporary production techniques, display grasp of cultural & historical context of fashion & market situation, and be capable to predict forthcoming fashion trends besides networking & attend fashion and trade shows.
- Aspirants who wish to appear for the entrance test for admission into the Fashion Design Course, must have obtained a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in their class 12th from a recognised board in any discipline.
- Candidates meeting the eligibility criteria must obtain a minimum percentage of marks in the entrance test so as to proceed to the subsequent rounds of group discussion and interview. Only those aspirants who perform in all three rounds are eligible to enrol in Fashion Design Course.
The fee for undergraduate courses in Fashion designing ranges between 4 to 10 lakhs, while masters will cost around 6 to 15 lakhs.
Fashion Designers salary ranges between 5 lakhs pa to 60 lakhs pa depending on the career stage as well as the kind of education the aspirants may have.
On completion of Fashion Designing Course, the aspirants can look forward to a range of career prospects. Few of these are listed as under:
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Illustrator
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Merchandiser
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Influencer/Blogger
Fashion Design course:
For a successful career, aspirants must take up a course that promises:
- The curriculum must offer understanding of a range of clothing styles that cater to the needs of people of all ages and genders.
- Besides equipping the students with competencies in artistic and technical capabilities, use of current technology, communication & networking skills and sustainable design concepts etc., they are also guided in utilization of Machine learning and AI, design implementation and fashion principles.
- The Fashion Design Course offers students expertise in contemporary technology and software that enables them to express fashion through 3D garment simulation technology. Additionally, the program also mentors in varied technologies like 3D printing, Laser cutting, computerised Embroidery & Knitting machines, CLO 3D etc.
- The curriculum guides students to gain expertise in the entire manufacturing process including texture creation, fabric construction, dyeing, ideating, prototyping, marketing, retailing, finances, communication, merchandising, distribution, and buying etc., thereby enabling them with skills to commence their enterprise.
- The chosen college must take pride in partnership with FDCI, which will enable prospects for internships in the fashion industry, mentorship by industry experts and opportunities in live projects and industry events. Such exposure will instill confidence in students and foster the development of intellectual and critical thinking capabilities, besides preparing them for a career in the industry.