Boy, three, is hospitalised with ‘salmonella poisoning after eating a Kinder egg’

Boy, three, is hospitalised with ‘salmonella poisoning after eating a Kinder egg’

A three-year-old boy was kept on a drip for four days almost fell into a coma after he was hospitalised with suspected salmonella poisoning from a Kinder egg.

Billy Way, from Barry, Wales, ate his brother’s Kinder Surprise last month and became incredibly unwell and was admitted to Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospital in Cardiff. His mother Kasey Cooke, 26, said she never suspected the cause of his illness could be from the Belgian chocolate but doctors ran tests and found traces of salmonella in his faeces.

It follows a UK recall of certain chocolate goods which was extended to include all of those manufactured at a factory in Belgium since June, which has since been forced to close, regardless of their best-before date.

More than 100 cases of salmonella have been reported so far, including 63 in the UK, with the majority of cases in children under five.

A ‘Rapid Outbreak Assessment’ released by the European Food Safety Authority and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control said it had matched the same salmonella strain currently infecting people to samples taken from the Arlon site last December.

Mother-of-two Ms Cooke said that her son ‘looked like he was dying’.

Three-year-old Billy Way, from Barry, Wales, was kept on a drip for four days almost fell into a coma after he was hospitalised with suspected salmonella poisoning from a Kinder egg

+7
View gallery

Three-year-old Billy Way, from Barry, Wales, was kept on a drip for four days almost fell into a coma after he was hospitalised with suspected salmonella poisoning from a Kinder egg

She told the Mirror: ‘He was excited to eat the chocolate and have the toy inside. But a few days later he started being sick a lot.

‘He couldn’t keep anything down and couldn’t even hold his weight on his feet.

‘I had to put a nappy on him as he couldn’t get up to use the toilet. I went to the GP out of hours and he was so severely ill they said go straight to hospital.

‘They were worried he could have gone into a coma as his blood sugar was so low.’

She said: ‘He looked like he was dying, his mouth was dry, his face was pale and his eyes were black and sunken.’

European health officials believe processing of the buttermilk at the Belgium factory may have caused the contamination.

His mother Kasey Cooke, 26, said she never suspected the cause of Billy's (pictured in hospital) illness could be from the Belgian chocolate but doctors ran tests and found traces of salmonella in his faeces

+7
View gallery

His mother Kasey Cooke, 26, said she never suspected the cause of Billy’s (pictured in hospital) illness could be from the Belgian chocolate but doctors ran tests and found traces of salmonella in his faeces

Ms Cooke is now demanding compensation from chocolate giant Ferrero, which owns Kinder but is yet to receive a response.

Billy was discharged from hospital on April 7.

A Ferrero spokesperson said: ‘We are very sorry to hear about Kasey Cooke’s son and our sincere thoughts are with her family at this time.

‘With immediate effect, the entire production of Kinder Surprise 20g, Kinder Surprise 20g x 3 multipack, Kinder Mini eggs 75g, Kinder Egg Hunt Kit 150g, Kinder Surprise 100g and Kinder Schokobons (all pack sizes) which have all been made in Arlon, Belgium has been recalled.

‘After a thorough investigation, the point of origin was identified to be a filter at the outlet of two raw material tanks. Materials and finished products were blocked and not released.

‘The matter is currently being investigated together with food safety authorities. We deeply regret this matter and we continue to work closely with the food safety authorities to support their investigations.’

Kinder chocolate products linked to the salmonella outbreak should not be consumed over the Easter weekend, health officials have warned

+7
View gallery

Kinder chocolate products linked to the salmonella outbreak should not be consumed over the Easter weekend, health officials have warned

Agencies, including the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) have warned Kinder Surprise, Kinder Mini Eggs, Kinder Surprise 100g and Kinder Schoko-Bons should not be eaten.

Dame Jenny Harries, chief executive of the UKHSA, said: ‘We’re reminding people of the recall this Bank Holiday weekend as it’s possible these products have been bought and stored as gifts, or for events such as Easter trails.

‘It’s crucial these products are not eaten and are discarded. Salmonella infection can be severe and many children affected in this outbreak have been very unwell and hospitalised, so anyone giving chocolate products to friends or family should take extra care to ensure their Easter gifts are not amongst those products recalled.’

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯

»Share Your Opinion On TDPel Media«