LOAD SHEDDING SUSPENDED ON FRIDAY
Eskom Announces Good News for South Africans
Eskom has announced that load shedding will be suspended from 22:00 tonight, October 19, 2023, until 16:00 on Monday, October 23, 2023.
This is the first time in over three days that South Africans will have uninterrupted power supply.
The suspension of load shedding is due to the continued good performance of Eskom’s generation fleet and the expected lower weekend demand.
Eskom spokesperson Sikonathi Mantshantsha said that breakdowns have reduced to 12 925MW, whilst planned maintenance is at 4 889MW of generation capacity.
Eskom Advises South Africans to Continue to Save Electricity
Despite the suspension of load shedding, Eskom is advising South Africans to continue to save electricity.
This will help to ensure that the power grid remains stable and that load shedding can be avoided in the future.
Here are six tips to save electricity during load shedding:
- Make use of surge protection.
- Ensure that your alarm system is working and the backup battery is fully functional.
- Keep a torch or headlamp in your car.
- Save emergency contact information on your phone and keep a paper copy safe and accessible.
- Charge your cell phone, laptop, and tablet devices ahead of scheduled blackouts.
- Get a small LP gas bottle and lamp.
South Africans are welcoming the news of the suspension of load shedding.
However, they are also aware that the power situation is still fragile and that load shedding could be implemented again in the future.
They are therefore urged to continue to save electricity.