Royal Mail Under Investigation by Ofcom for Failing Delivery Targets as CEO Announces Departure

Royal Mail Under Investigation by Ofcom for Failing Delivery Targets as CEO Announces Departure

...By Larry John for TDPel Media.

Royal Mail is set to be investigated by Ofcom, the industry watchdog, after failing to meet its delivery targets over the past year.


The postal service fell significantly short of its 93% target for delivering First Class mail within one day, achieving only 73.7%.

Ofcom stated that it would consider any exceptional events that may have contributed to the shortfall but emphasized that Covid-19 could no longer be used as an excuse for poor delivery performance.

This investigation comes at a time when the CEO of Royal Mail, Simon Thompson, announced his plans to step down, following a pay deal agreement with striking staff.

CEO Departure and Plans for a New CEO

After a contentious dispute with workers regarding pay, Simon Thompson expressed that it was the right time for him to leave his role.

Thompson is expected to leave on October 31, and the board of Royal Mail is currently in the advanced stages of appointing a new CEO.

Chairman Keith Williams of Royal Mail’s parent company, International Distributions Services, expressed gratitude for Thompson’s contributions to the company’s transformation during his tenure as CEO and non-executive director.

Also on TDPel Media:  Win a PerfectDraft Pro Beer Machine and Kegs for Your Coronation Party

Thompson’s Perspective and Royal Mail Privatization

Thompson stated that he was proud to lead Royal Mail during this pivotal period in its long history.

He highlighted the changes, infrastructure improvements, and agreements with trade unions that have positioned Royal Mail for competition and growth.

The delivery service recently reached a deal with the Communication Workers Union, which includes a 10% salary increase over three years and a one-off lump sum payment of £500.

Royal Mail, a once-government-managed public service, underwent privatization in 2013 when the Postal Services Act allowed 90% of the company to be privatized, with the remaining 10% held by Royal Mail employees.

Initially, the government retained a 30% stake in Royal Mail but sold its remaining shares in 2015.

The company is now publicly owned and traded on the London Stock Exchange.

The controversial privatization process led to strikes organized by the CWU and accusations of undervaluation by the government.

Also on TDPel Media:  Former Governors Orji Uzor Kalu and Abdulaziz Yari Forge Alliance to Influence Senate Leadership

The largest shareholder of Royal Mail is Czech billionaire Daniel Křetínský, known for his low-profile approach and his control of Vesa Equity Investment, which also holds stakes in Sainsbury’s and West Ham United.



The investigation launched by Ofcom into Royal Mail’s failure to meet delivery targets highlights the need for accountability and improved performance in the postal service.

While factors such as exceptional events may be considered, the watchdog’s statement regarding Covid-19 no longer being a valid excuse for poor delivery performance emphasizes the importance of meeting customer expectations.

With the rising prominence of e-commerce and increasing reliance on postal services, ensuring efficient and timely deliveries is crucial for Royal Mail to maintain customer trust and compete in the market.

The departure of CEO Simon Thompson adds further complexity to Royal Mail’s situation.

Thompson’s decision to step down, coupled with the ongoing challenges in labor relations, indicates the need for new leadership to drive the company forward and address the issues at hand.

Also on TDPel Media:  Anti-Monarchist Leader Mulls Suing London Police Over Coronation Protest Arrests

The appointment of a new CEO will be critical in implementing strategies to improve delivery performance, enhance employee relations, and navigate the evolving landscape of the postal industry.

Royal Mail’s privatization history continues to be a topic of debate and scrutiny.

The controversy surrounding the valuation of the company and accusations of undervaluation by the government have impacted public perception and contributed to industrial disputes.


Additionally, the presence of major shareholders, such as Czech billionaire Daniel Křetínský, introduces another layer of complexity to the ownership structure of Royal Mail.

The influence and interests of these stakeholders may shape the company’s future decisions and strategic direction.

To maintain its position as a trusted postal service provider, Royal Mail will need to address the concerns raised by Ofcom, strengthen its operational performance, and foster positive relationships with its workforce.

These steps are essential for Royal Mail to effectively navigate the evolving demands of the industry and ensure the satisfaction of its customers.


Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media