TDPel Media News Agency

Police Question Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Former Protection Officers About Alleged Misconduct in Public Office in the United Kingdom

Temitope Oke
By Temitope Oke

The spotlight has swung back onto Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor — and this time, it’s not just about him.

Officers who once stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the disgraced former royal are now being told to speak up.

Last night, Metropolitan Police — better known as Scotland Yard — confirmed it has begun contacting both current and retired protection officers who worked closely with Andrew during his years as a senior working royal.

They’ve been asked to “consider carefully” anything they may have seen or heard that could help investigators reviewing allegations connected to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

It’s a remarkable turn. For years, official inquiries yielded little.

Now, in the wake of the so-called Epstein Files released by the US Department of Justice, detectives appear to be widening the circle.

The Protection Officers Under Scrutiny

The focus is on officers from the Royalty and Specialist Protection unit — the elite branch tasked with guarding senior royals and high-profile figures at home and abroad.

One former senior officer told LBC this week there were long-standing concerns that members of the unit may have grown “too close” to those they were protecting in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Some, he claimed, feared demotion if they rocked the boat.

No wrongdoing has been formally established.

The Met has stressed it is not alleging criminal conduct by its officers.

But the suggestion that anyone may have “wilfully turned a blind eye” during visits to Epstein’s private island has injected fresh urgency into the review.

It’s a delicate line for investigators — examining potential institutional failures without presuming guilt.

A Birthday Arrest and a Search at Royal Lodge

The week took an extraordinary twist when Andrew was arrested on Thursday morning — his 66th birthday — at his new home on the Sandringham Estate.

Thames Valley Police detained him on suspicion of misconduct in public office before releasing him under investigation 11 hours later.

Officers are continuing searches linked to his former residence, Royal Lodge in Windsor.

The allegations centre on claims that, while serving as a UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011, Andrew may have shared sensitive or confidential information with Epstein.

Files reportedly suggest he passed on reports from official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.

Andrew has denied wrongdoing over his relationship with Epstein.

He has not directly addressed the latest claims.

The Trafficking Allegation Being Assessed

Separate from the document-sharing accusations is a deeply serious claim made to Thames Valley Police: that a woman in her 20s was trafficked by Epstein to Andrew at Royal Lodge in 2010.

Police say they are assessing the report.

So far, Scotland Yard has said no new allegations of sexual offences within its jurisdiction have emerged from the latest file review.

Andrew previously denied allegations by Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre, who claimed she had sex with him on three occasions — in London, New York and on Epstein’s private island.

The duke reached a financial settlement with her in 2022 without admitting liability.

Ten Police Forces Now Reviewing the Files

The ripple effect of the Epstein document release has spread across Britain.

West Yorkshire Police this week became the tenth UK force to confirm it is reviewing the material — said to run to three million pages.

Former prime minister Gordon Brown revealed he has submitted a five-page memorandum to multiple forces, including the Met, Surrey, Sussex and Thames Valley constabularies.

Brown said he wanted to ensure justice for trafficked women and girls and that any relevant information be properly examined.

This multi-force involvement underscores how seriously the authorities are treating the latest disclosures — even if no charges have yet followed.

Political Shockwaves and Royal Fallout

The implications are not confined to policing.

Ministers are reportedly preparing legislation that could remove Andrew from the line of succession once investigations conclude.

While largely symbolic — he is already far down the order — the move would be historically significant.

There are also questions over who might foot the legal bill if charges were brought.

Some insiders suggest the King may face pressure to support his brother financially, a politically awkward position given public scrutiny of royal spending.

Meanwhile, Sarah Ferguson, Andrew’s ex-wife, is said to be deeply distressed and could be approached by investigators as a potential witness.

The King has publicly stated that “the law must take its course” and that police have his full cooperation.

The Shadow of Epstein

The renewed attention reflects the enduring global impact of the Epstein scandal.

Since his 2019 death in a New York jail cell while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges, investigations into his network have continued on both sides of the Atlantic.

The scale of the newly released files has revived old questions: Who knew what — and when?

In Andrew’s case, the association with Epstein has dogged him for years.

His 2019 BBC interview, widely criticised for its tone and lack of remorse, effectively ended his public duties.

Since then, he has remained largely out of view, residing in royal properties but stripped of official roles and military titles.

What’s Next?

Investigators will continue reviewing the Epstein Files and gathering statements from protection officers.

Detectives are expected to determine whether any fresh criminal investigation is warranted — or whether the review concludes without further action.

Thames Valley Police are still assessing the trafficking allegation.

If credible evidence emerges, the case could escalate quickly.

Politically, any move to alter Andrew’s position in the line of succession would require parliamentary time and careful drafting.

The timing may depend on the outcome of police inquiries.

For now, Andrew remains under investigation but uncharged.

Summary

Police have widened their review of allegations linked to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, asking former and serving protection officers to disclose anything relevant from their time guarding him.

Metropolitan Police say they are assessing material from the Epstein Files and examining claims that Andrew shared sensitive documents with Jeffrey Epstein while serving as a trade envoy.

He was arrested by Thames Valley Police on suspicion of misconduct in public office before being released under investigation.

Separate trafficking allegations are under review.

Multiple UK forces are now examining the vast file release, while political and royal repercussions continue to unfold. Andrew denies wrongdoing.

The King has pledged full cooperation with police as the investigation proceeds.

Spread the News. Auto-share on
Facebook Twitter Reddit LinkedIn

Temitope Oke profile photo on TDPel Media

About Temitope Oke

Temitope Oke is an experienced copywriter and editor. With a deep understanding of the Nigerian market and global trends, he crafts compelling, persuasive, and engaging content tailored to various audiences. His expertise spans digital marketing, content creation, SEO, and brand messaging. He works with diverse clients, helping them communicate effectively through clear, concise, and impactful language. Passionate about storytelling, he combines creativity with strategic thinking to deliver results that resonate.