The lawman had just finished his business for the day, as a representative for the accused. But, before he could properly shuffle his papers and file them away, Teffo was being handcuffed and marched out of the dock.
Following a feisty week in the courtroom, the drama culminated earlier this afternoon. Advocate Teffo says he ‘did not know’ why he was being arrested, and claimed that he had not been read his rights at the time.
[WATCH] Advocate Teffo He says he doesn’t know why he is being arrested. pic.twitter.com/0FEG3Ei4X1
— Advovolicious 𓃵 (@advovolicious) April 28, 2022
Who is Advocate Teffo? He’s got a colourful history alright…
- Dan Maselesa Teffo is the defence advocate for FOUR suspects in the Senzo Meyiwa case.
- He is based in Pretoria, and used to work as a police officer.
- In 2021, he was arrested by police TWICE within two weeks, and spent time in Sun City Prison.
- These charges relate to a contempt of court case, and an alleged act of trespassing.
- Teffo recently presented ‘damning findings’ against ex-Police Commissioner Khehla Sitole to President Ramaphosa.
- The advocate has been described as a passionate ‘human rights defender’ by his colleagues.
We’re awaiting an official statement on the matter, but a colleague of Advocate Teffo – and several police officers inside the courtroom on Thursday – confirmed that there was a warrant of arrest in place for the prominent lawyer.
That’s because he missed another scheduled court appointment, which was set down for this morning. Relating to one of the charges issued against him last year, Teffo appears to have forgotten about his other engagement.
Law enforcement officials have seen this as a deliberate choice to abscond, however, and once proceedings in the Senzo Meyiwa trial were adjourned – literally to the second – several cops apprehended the advocate.
Meyiwa trial: Who is Advocate Teffo, and WHY has he been arrested? Thank You