England has expelled Mason Greenwood, a Manchester United striker.
This comes after Greenwood was arrested on suspicion of rape and freed on bail ‘waiting further investigation’ by Greater Manchester Police yesterday.
Police have also confirmed that they are conducting additional investigations into complaints of assault, sexual assault, and making death threats.
United have suspended the young footballer, while sponsors including Nike have distanced themselves from him.
SunSport stated that England boss Gareth Southgate has no interest in even considering selecting the striker until legal proceedings end.
After making his debut in Reykjavik, he was told to leave alongside Manchester City’s Phil Foden after they broke Covid quarantine guidelines by bringing in two women in the team hotel.
The FA will respect both United and England stance and the criminal process but there are no plans for Wembley chiefs to get involved yet.
Greenwood was suspended indefinitely from United hours after the allegations surfaced on social media. Greater Manchester Police confirmed on Wednesday February 2 that the £75,000-a-week star has now been bailed. A statement said: “A 20-year-old man arrested (on Sunday 30 January 2022) on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.
” Police crime scene investigation vans were seen parked outside the footballer’s house after the claims were made on Sunday. In a statement, Man Utd said: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. “As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.
” The Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) tweeted: “The club has now confirmed that Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice.
“MUST fully support the decision of the club in this regard.”