Rita French, the UK Human Rights Ambassador, made a statement on Ethiopia’s ongoing crisis.
Delivered on: 22 September, 2022
Transcript of the speech, exactly as it was delivered:
Thank you, Mr. President.
The United Kingdom welcomes the Commission’s first report and their important work.
Since the conflict in northern Ethiopia began in November 2020, we have consistently called for three things.
First, for an immediate halt to the conflict, which has left over 13 million people in desperate need of humanitarian assistance. We are therefore extremely concerned by the return to war and the involvement once again of Eritrean forces, which will make finding a peaceful settlement more difficult.
Second, for a negotiated political settlement between all sides, because it is clear that there is no prospect of a military solution. We welcome the Ethiopian Government’s public commitments to ending the conflict through dialogue, and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front’s willingness to begin peace talks. Now is the time for both parties to deliver on these commitments.
Lastly, we have repeatedly called for full, open and independent investigations into the appalling human rights violations and abuses committed by all sides. We welcome the conclusions of the Joint Investigation and the work of the Inter-Ministerial Task Force. The Commission’s work plays a vital role alongside these in ensuring accountability. We urge the Ethiopian Government to cooperate with the Commission, and to support the extension of its mandate.
We would welcome your views on key priorities over the coming year, in the hope that your mandate is extended.
Thank you, Mr. President
↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯
Also On TDPel Media
- Queens NYPD seeking for man who randomly assaulted women
- Florida adolescent Aiden Fucci admits to fatally stabbing 13-year-old cheerleader Tristyn Bailey
- Former Goldman Sachs executive Harvey Schwartz has been named CEO of Carlyle Group
- Bethany Hamilton, a surfer, says she will not compete against trans women
- I almost perished from $117K in black-market BBL injections
- “The View” Jokes About Bored Ben Affleck at Grammys: “J.Lo Should’ve Brought” Mum
- National Enquirer acquired for $100 million to indicted former MoviePass CEO: report
- Dell is eliminating almost 6,500 positions as the PC market declines
- Rasta The Artist honors Riky Rick at Cotton Festival 2023
- Emirates now offers MORE Cape Town flights