TDPel Media News Agency

Five more Man City players may testify in Benjamin Mendy’s rape trial

Samantha Allen - Author Profile Picture
By Samantha Allen

Jurors in the rape trial of Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy were today questioned about if they knew five other stars who may be cited or testify in the case.Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy at Chester Crown Court for his trial following allegations of rape and sexual assaultLouis Saha Matturie arrives at Chester Crown Court for his trial following allegations of rape and sexual assault against himManchester City and France footballer Benjamin Mendy arrives to Chester Crown Court this morning for his rape trialBenjamin Mendy plays for Manchester City against Tottenham Hotspur in North London on August 15, 2021

The names of Raheem Sterling, Jack Grealish, Kyle Walker, Riyad Mahrez, and John Stones – all of whom now or have played for City – were read out to the panel of jurors being picked for the trial at Chester Crown Court. The possible jurors, chosen from a pool of 38, were given a list of persons who may be witnesses or be mentioned during the trial and asked whether they had any relationship to them or knew them personally.

Before being chosen for the case, they heard the identities of the complainants and were asked whether they had any ties to Manchester City, Manchester United, or police agencies.

 

Mendy is accused with eight charges of rape, one of sexual assault, and one of attempted rape. Seven ladies are charged with all of the offenses.

 

He will stand trial with co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie, 40, who has also pleaded not guilty to all counts.

 

Matturie, of Eccles, Salford, is accused of eight charges of rape and four counts of sexual assault on eight young women. ‘There are 22 counts or charges, if you are feeling overwhelmed by that, I can guarantee you will be receiving a lot of support on how you will approach it,’ said Judge Steven Everett, Recorder of Chester, addressing the jury this afternoon.

 

‘Don’t be intimidated or overwhelmed by it. This study might go until November. Judge Everett had already informed the jurors, ‘Perhaps you have heard their names.’ Some of you may be aware that Mr Mendy is a professional footballer who now plays for Manchester City.’

 

All of the offenses are said to have occurred at his home address between October 2018 and August of last year.

 

His alleged offenses occurred between July 2012 and August of last year.

 

Prior to the trial, none of the women involved must be named, and reporting limitations apply.

 

Mendy has been at Manchester City since 2017, when he moved for a record £52 million from Monaco.

 

After being charged by police, he was suspended by the club.

 

Both defendants have been released on bail.

Spread the News. Auto-share on
Facebook Twitter Reddit LinkedIn

Samantha Allen profile photo on TDPel Media

About Samantha Allen

Samantha Allen is a seasoned journalist and senior correspondent at TDPel Media, specializing in the intersection of maternal health, clinical wellness, and public policy. With a background in investigative reporting and a passion for data-driven storytelling, Samantha has become a trusted voice for expectant mothers and healthcare advocates worldwide. Her work focuses on translating complex medical research into actionable insights, covering everything from prenatal fitness and neonatal care to the socioeconomic impacts of healthcare legislation. At TDPel Media, Samantha leads the agency's health analytics desk, ensuring that every report is grounded in accuracy, empathy, and scientific integrity. When she isn't in the newsroom, she is an advocate for community-led wellness initiatives and an avid explorer of California’s coastal trails.