EFF march to demand reinstatement of City of Tshwane contract workers called off

EFF march to demand reinstatement of City of Tshwane contract workers called off

The Economic Freedom Fighters’ (EFF) protest march to demand the reinstatement of 600 contract workers from the City of Tshwane has been called off.

The city obtained an urgent court interdict to prohibit the march by the EFF and former employees.

The 600 contract general workers’ contracts were terminated more than a year ago.

The city’s mayoral spokesperson Sipho Stuurman says: “The North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria this morning has granted the City of Tshwane an urgent court interdict against an illegal march organised by the EFF. The EFF is not a labour organisation or trade union, they’re a political party and so the Pretoria High Court has ruled in the city’s favour.”

More details on the court interdict in the tweet statement below: 

Workers’ dismissal 

Last week, the city issued 19 employees notices of the intention to terminate employment following continued disruptions of electricity supply in several parts of Pretoria.

The disruptions have been attributed to an unprotected strike by municipal workers represented by the South African Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU).

The city has also since secured a contempt of court order against SAMWU over the strike.

The labour court granted the municipality a contempt of court order against striking workers and the leadership of the union last week Thursday.

The order comes after some striking workers ignored a court interdict against the unlawful strike.

Mayor Randall Williams had said the city would seek further legal action against striking union members:

-Additional reporting by SABC News 

↯↯↯Read More On The Topic On TDPel Media ↯↯↯